New Clock May End Time As We Know It

Rudi
gamma jay

New Clock May End Time As We Know It

Post by Rudi »

I think we need a science and mathematics forum :grin:

Quotes below from source here

This new clock can sense the pace of time speeding up as it moves inch by inch away from the earth's core.

That's a problem, because to actually use time, you need different clocks to agree on the time. Think about it: If I say, 'let's meet at 3:30,' we use our watches. But imagine a world in which your watch starts to tick faster, because you're working on the floor above me. Your 3:30 happens earlier than mine, and we miss our appointment.

This clock works like that. Tiny shifts in the earth's crust can throw it off, even when it's sitting still. Even if two of them are synchronized, their different rates of ticking mean they will soon be out of synch. They will never agree.

"Scientists can make these clocks into exquisite devices for sensing a whole bunch of different things," O'Brian says. Their extraordinary sensitivity to gravity might allow them to map the interior of the earth, or help scientists find water and other resources underground.

A network of clocks in space might be used to detect gravitational waves from black holes and exploding stars.

Love this ending moral to the story...
========================================
They could change our view of the universe.
They just may not be able to tell us the time.
========================================
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Re: New Clock May End Time As We Know It

Post by HansV »

That's rather over the top. It may have implications in fundamental science, but it won't affect our usage of time in day-to-day life. What does it matter if one clock is 0.0000000000000001 second ahead of another one?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I would much rather have this old watch.
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

HansV wrote:What does it matter if one clock is 0.0000000000000001 second ahead of another one?
It has a very significant effect on GPS, which is based on the difference in arrival time between signals received from synchronized clocks on satellites.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I know that relativistic effects play a role there, but not of the order of 10^-16 seconds, I think.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I guess it depends on how accurate they want to be able to place objects on the surface of the earth. In speed of light terms 10^-11 seconds would be about a millimetre and I guess nobody's likely to want GPS more accurate than that for a while.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If your an atom, a millimeter is quite a distance. Heck, you might even still be lost!
The other applications are interesting: Determine the geography below the surface; scan for black holes, etc...
Regards,
Rudi

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

StuartR wrote:...about a millimetre and I guess nobody's likely to want GPS more accurate than that for a while.
It's the sort of accuracy my dear wife would probably expect my ankle tag to have if I foul up in the potato peeling department again.
Leif

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Gosh...is she still holding you to the sword.... :cranky:
Regards,
Rudi

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

er... she says no.
Leif

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Leif wrote:It's the sort of accuracy my dear wife would probably expect my ankle tag to have if I foul up in the potato peeling department again.
Now I can't stop giggling...
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:...What does it matter if one clock is 0.0000000000000001 second ahead of another one?
I have heard podcasts/read books that relativity is vitally important to GPS systems (beaming to and from and amongst satellites), that although the discrepancies are very small to us 'umans, the discrepancies are quite large to those of us (photons) who are traveling at 186,000 mps give-or-take.

I can't quote on your " 0.0000000000000001" figure, but if anything pops up on a Lady-and-The-Tramp DVD I'll let you know ...
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

<What does it matter if one clock is 0.0000000000000001 second ahead of another one?>

Well, it depends if your watch is 0.0000000000000001 second ahead or behind, because then your version of SWMBO will either say you're early or you're running late!

Synchronize your watches!! :grin: :hairout:
Anne

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

this clock claims to be "accurate to 1 second in 10 million years". Perhaps that should say "at sea level"...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I have heard podcasts/read books ...
I’ve been reading some of Peter Atkins’s works, in particular “Galileo’s Finger – the ten great ideas of science” (Oxford University Press ISBN 0 19 860664 8).
DSCN0107.JPG
If I've done the calculations properly (Book1.xls attached) the airplane would "lose" about 60 metres after its trip around the world, while a GPS satellite could give you a destination almost two kilometres off course.
(signed) "Open to correction" of Toronto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Microseconds. (You'd better remember to adjust my morning alarm after a round the world flight).

Looks like an interesting read :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi