Re: Guatemala

Post by StuartR »

Now I'm jealous
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

así, parece que usted está teniendo un tiempo bueno y relajante, Geoff !
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

How would you say is Spanish, "Righteous dude, I'm stoked to epic proportions cos nothing like nature can shoot the curl on a brothers intellect. Ho yah!"
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

These were taken yesterday, at markets about two hours away from where I'm staying.

Its going to be a bit hard to top these for colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

And a few more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Very colo(u)rful indeed!
Best wishes,
Hans

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Lovely!!!! I envy you your vistas, and your learning time! That's the absolute best way to learn a language, and understand a culture. Kudos!!

A friend of mine from Iraq came over to the US with her husband... they were both Iraqi Kurds but from different villages, and couldn't understand each other's dialects in Kurdish, so they spoke Arabic to each other.

They landed in Guam for a year or so, and learned Spanish before English. Then they ended up in Atlanta, then Nashville, so their English is spiked with Southern American English terms, mixed with occasional Spanish, Arabic and some Kurdish! So talking with them was always an adventure and always fun!!

I learned Standard Arabic a few years ago and am told I have an accent from Baghdad, since that's where my instructor was from. I wouldn't know... I just know you have to be careful because there's only a slight difference in pronouncing some words. Oddly enough, "husband" and "fool" are very close-sounding. I thought that was funny...
Anne

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

In Spanish I sometimes confuse cansando and casado. Married and tired. I don't know why.

There are regional differences. One must be careful. In Guatemala and further south, to catch a bus is "cojer in autobus". But in Mexico that's an extremely rude expression which could start a fight.

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Wow, Geoff, that's cool... I wonder what other languages see things like that--married/tired; husband/fool... Hmm. I'm seeing a trend. :rofl:

And those are simply lovely photos!!!!! :cheers:
Anne

jstevens
GoldLounger

Post by jstevens »

Geoff,

Lovely pictures!

I'd be day dreaming if I had a class outside. If it were raining, it would be a different story.

Thanks again for the pictures,
John
Regards,
John

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Yep...agreed, very colourful images; and great photos too - catching the vibrancy of the market place. :cheers:

I once read of a guy (tourist) walking the streets in an eastern city (not sure which one). He was lost so he called for a young girl using the common "come here please" gesture. The girl burst out in tears and ran away. Later that evening, back in the home he was boarding in, he asked the owner why the girl burst out in tears when he called her. Discovering that he used that gesture, the owner explained that it was used to call over prostitutes, and this young girl was obviously deeply offended.

It is amazing that for one person a simple gesture or verbal phrase can be harmless, yet for another person or culture it can mean something entirely different. It is really a matter of doing some homework before a trip to a foreign place.

Oh...another quick example: I have some Russian friends that a year back were working here in Cape Town. I was visiting them in their home one weekend and was whistling away while helping to set the table for a meal. My friend, Ivar came up to me and quietly (and with most humble kindness) told me to stop whistling in their home. I could whistle outside, but not under their roof. He explained to me that in their culture it was superstitious of an impending death of a family member in their home. I apologized profusely and was very self conscious after that.
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

GeoffW wrote:In Spanish I sometimes confuse cansando and casado. Married and tired. I don't know why.

There are regional differences. One must be careful. In Guatemala and further south, to catch a bus is "cojer in autobus". But in Mexico that's an extremely rude expression which could start a fight.
Howdy, Geoff!

Thanks for sharing your experiences in Guatemala with us!

I have a question about 'cansando' and 'casado'. Did you mean 'cansado'? 'Cansando' would be the gerund form, no?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

Wow, the whistling thing was interesting!
My grandmother (from Drogheda, in Ireland) always used to toss a pinch of salt over one shoulder if she spilled any while cooking. Apparently if you don't do that, your meal won't turn out right. Even though I know it's silly, I do it too, having learned it from my mother, who learned it from hers... wonder how far back THAT chain goes? I can see little Irish women tossing salt all over the place...
Anne

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Hence the saying: They're the salt of the (Ire)land.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

BobH wrote: I have a question about 'cansando' and 'casado'. Did you mean 'cansado'? 'Cansando' would be the gerund form, no?
You are right. It's cansado, I'm sorry.

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

jstevens wrote: I'd be day dreaming if I had a class outside. If it were raining, it would be a different story.
It hasn't rained since I got here two weeks ago, except for when the plane flew in. The wet has finished, and because of the altitude, the climate is excellent.

If it does rain, they have an amazing technological innovation which can help. The "classroom" is to the right. It has a thing on top which I translate as "roof".

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

GeoffW wrote:
BobH wrote: I have a question about 'cansando' and 'casado'. Did you mean 'cansado'? 'Cansando' would be the gerund form, no?
You are right. It's cansado, I'm sorry.
No apologies needed, Geoff! I was just seeking clarification.

If I had a classroom with such a beautiful is such exotic surroundings, I doubt that I could concentrate enough on the lessons. :innocent:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

For everybody who's sick of posts about Guatemala - I have no more. I'm at the airport waiting for my flight out.

To Costa Rica.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Safe travels....
Regards,
Rudi