How many public holidays do you have?

HansV
Administrator

How many public holidays do you have?

Post by HansV »

Want more time off? Live here - Public Holidays around the world

The Netherlands are in the bottom 5 :sad: (and even worse, if a public holiday falls on a weekend day, it's just bad luck, the holiday isn't moved to the next Monday)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: How many public holidays do you have?

Post by BobH »

I didn't see Germany or Switzerland in that list. I wish it were more exhaustive and that it also included an approximation of vacation days and public holidays combined. That would be a better measure of time off.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

We have 12 (and if one of those 12 falls on a Sunday, we have Monday off! - Unfortunately not if its on a Saturday!)
Of those 12, 4 are in April. The entire April is a rather stop/start month for us. Basically two weekends of April are long weekends having a Friday and Monday off, and many people plan for this period by putting in leave between the Tue and Thu to get the whole week off. Those who are working feel as if its Dec/Xmas period as during those two long weekends its basically skeleton staff and business almost grinds to a halt.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The article was intended as light entertainment, not as a complete overview. See List of holidays by country on Wikipedia for more extensive information. I agree that the sum of vacation days and public holidays would be a better measure of time off, but the number of vacation days varies considerably within a country. See List of statutory minimum employment leave by country for the minimum number by country.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Sadly, "Want more time off? Live here - Public Holidays around the world" is another BBC web page which we in the UK cannot access...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

They probably do not want to promote that idea in the UK and get into trouble with people demanding more time off...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

I couldn't see the display on my iPhone.

In Canberra we have two more days public holiday than the surrounding state of NSW.

As an employer I never appreciated that, especially with a business which opened on public holidays.

As a contractor I had the days off but got no pay.

Finally, as an employee, I get the benefit.