The 2014 Ig Nobel Prizes

HansV
Administrator

The 2014 Ig Nobel Prizes

Post by HansV »

Regulars of Eileen's Lounge may know that I regularly stay up late. According to research that has been awarded the 2014 Ig Nobel Prize for Psychology, I am likely to be "more self-admiring, more manipulative, and more psychopathic than people who habitually arise early in the morning" (such as Rudi). :evilgrin:

See Slippery banana study wins Ig Nobel
Best wishes,
Hans

jstevens
GoldLounger

Re: The 2014 Ig Nobel Prizes

Post by jstevens »

Hans,

It appears you will have to wait until the morning in order to get a reply from Rudi.

It has not dawned upon him,
John
Regards,
John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're right! :laugh:
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Some of this year's ignoble awards had me laughing out loud.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The definition of informal psychopathic is as follows:
abnormal and obsessive; manic.
"an obsessive attention to detail that looked almost psychopathic"
Had to go to bed early as I had to pick my son up from the airport. He returned home from a week long trip to Los Angeles. (LA was very HOT - literally!)

I can agree with this as details don't easily eskape eagle eyed Hans. (I'm thinking that John Gray is also psychopathic in a slightly different way!)
Maybe I can start to test out your tipping level on that "manipulative" theory :evilgrin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Kang Lee, from the University of Toronto, Canada, and colleagues showed their subjects pictures of "noise" - like the random speckles you used to get on old, out-of-tune TVs - to see what patterns the volunteers would identify.
I've read that the "noise" mentioned in this quote that shows up on TV sets is actually radio signals that were emitted during the Big Bang event at the start of the Universe. Sadly, I cannot remember the source; but I do recall that I read it as credible because of the stature of the source. I think it might have been associated with the deep space antennas listening for messages at Arecibo, Puerto Rico.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:
Kang Lee, from the University of Toronto, Canada, and colleagues showed their subjects pictures of "noise" - like the random speckles you used to get on old, out-of-tune TVs - to see what patterns the volunteers would identify.
I've read that the "noise" mentioned in this quote that shows up on TV sets is actually radio signals that were emitted during the Big Bang event at the start of the Universe. Sadly, I cannot remember the source; but I do recall that I read it as credible because of the stature of the source. I think it might have been associated with the deep space antennas listening for messages at Arecibo, Puerto Rico.
Boy, that's a far out idea! :laugh: :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.