glow in the dark roads

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

glow in the dark roads

Post by mishmish3000 »

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27021291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is SO cool. Think of (1) the cost savings over time and (2) the reduction of light pollution! :clapping:

Hans, did you invent this? Fess up! (That's "confess!" in Southern English) :cheers:
Anne

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: glow in the dark roads

Post by Rudi »

That IS cooool :cool:
I like!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

mishmish3000 wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27021291

This is SO cool. Think of (1) the cost savings over time and (2) the reduction of light pollution! :clapping:

Hans, did you invent this? Fess up! (That's "confess!" in Southern English) :cheers:
That looks like a good step up from our roads here. We have recessed amber reflectors running down the center line and white recessed reflectors on the right side of the the road. So called fog lines. They also help to cut down on the idiots who constantly drive with their high beam lights on.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Looks interesting, but I have nothing to do with it - I'm not an engineer...
Best wishes,
Hans

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

mishmish3000 wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27021291

This is SO cool. Think of (1) the cost savings over time and (2) the reduction of light pollution! :clapping: ... snip
That is a great idea. It will be interesting to see how the test works out.
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If a country had to use this paint on all its roads, it would look spectacular from an aircraft at night (or from space when the country is in the dark side of Earth). You'll just see green lines criss crossing the country in the areas without lights.
Regards,
Rudi

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Rudi wrote:If a country had to use this paint on all its roads, it would look spectacular from an aircraft at night (or from space when the country is in the dark side of Earth). You'll just see green lines criss crossing the country in the areas without lights.
I'd be surprised if the lines would be visible from aircraft altitudes. In the photos in the article, they looked rather faint, more like a "nightlight" than a "lamp".

There will be a lot of factors to study in the pilot project. Just a few: How much does the glowing paint cost compared to other kinds of road paint/markers? How long does it last on roads with light/medium/heavy traffic? How often would it have to be repainted? How visible/effective is it in rainy or icy/snowy weather? If a day's "charge" makes it glow for 8 hours, does cloudy weather shorten that? Can the glow time be extended with a different formulation?

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Might not be enough to keep eyes on the road if the passenger is wearing one of the inventor's dresses ...
and a dress that becomes see-through when the wearer is aroused.
Oh, wait! It said "when the wearer is aroused"! Nevermind :bummer:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Jay Freedman wrote:There will be a lot of factors to study in the pilot project. Just a few: How much does the glowing paint cost compared to other kinds of road paint/markers? How long does it last on roads with light/medium/heavy traffic? How often would it have to be repainted? How visible/effective is it in rainy or icy/snowy weather? If a day's "charge" makes it glow for 8 hours, does cloudy weather shorten that? Can the glow time be extended with a different formulation?
Quite a list of valid questions you have there!
I guess the project team will have to read between the lines, shed some light on these questions and come up with some glowing solutions. :ribbon:
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Jay Freedman wrote:If a day's "charge" makes it glow for 8 hours, does cloudy weather shorten that?
Also, in midwinter in The Netherlands, it is dark (night) for about 16 hours per day, so the lines would work during the first half of the night only, and not during the morning rush hour...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Very interesting experiments in the use of engineering and technology to solve problems. At this point there are too many unanswered questions to infer that this might be useful beyond bike lanes in the Netherlands, if it is even feasible there.

I very much like the idea of displaying streetlights. I am a member of the International Dark Skies association which works to stop light pollution. Street lights and lighting in parking areas are major contributors to light pollution which need to be curbed then significantly reduced. If this technology offers hope of accomplishing some part of this initiative, I'm all for it if it is economically viable.

:ranton:
I can remember the effects of blackout periods during WWII when I was very young. Although they were not as extensive as those who lived in Europe will remember, it was a significant era for me. I also experienced the exponential growth of city street lighting and advertising lighting as electricity grew less expensive and lighting more efficient. I long for the old days when one could see the stars even though living in the city. Nowadays even living outside the city there is enough ambient light in most places to cause pollution problems for sky observers. Combine the increased amount of particles in the air, their reflective qualities and an enormous number of lumens from unnecessary lighting, and you find that skies are pretty murky by comparison for 50 or 60 years ago.

Despite what many have been induced to believe, when it comes to night time lighting, less is more.
:rantoff:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

new patio lights.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anne

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Very interesting experiments in the use of engineering and technology to solve problems. At this point there are too many unanswered questions to infer that this might be useful beyond bike lanes in the Netherlands, if it is even feasible there.

I very much like the idea of displaying streetlights. I am a member of the International Dark Skies association which works to stop light pollution. Street lights and lighting in parking areas are major contributors to light pollution which need to be curbed then significantly reduced. If this technology offers hope of accomplishing some part of this initiative, I'm all for it if it is economically viable.

:ranton:
I can remember the effects of blackout periods during WWII when I was very young. Although they were not as extensive as those who lived in Europe will remember, it was a significant era for me. I also experienced the exponential growth of city street lighting and advertising lighting as electricity grew less expensive and lighting more efficient. I long for the old days when one could see the stars even though living in the city. Nowadays even living outside the city there is enough ambient light in most places to cause pollution problems for sky observers. Combine the increased amount of particles in the air, their reflective qualities and an enormous number of lumens from unnecessary lighting, and you find that skies are pretty murky by comparison for 50 or 60 years ago.

Despite what many have been induced to believe, when it comes to night time lighting, less is more.
:rantoff:
:ranton: Absolutely, positively agree with you on streetlight and other light pollution! At one point in time, there was a campaign to add MORE streetlights, including those nasty amber yellow Sodium Vapor or Mercury types.
Then as electricity became more expensive, the pendulum swung the other way. Hurray, now it's turn more off and if a person or group of residences want one left on, they pay for it. However, the large parking lots at shopping centers stay on all night and without any deflectors to shine the lights downward. The sky glow is awful and intruding on what should be a dark night. Compound that with city people who move here and MUST have their properties lit up like Times Square all night long and I become a campaigner for outside "Lights out" at 9:00PM.
( Is that International Dark Skies Association for real? ) If so, send me a link for more information, please, Bob. :rantoff:
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

mishmish3000 wrote:
new patio lights.jpg
That's my idea of portable night lights. We also have a large group of night visitors that we feed on a regular basis. :clapping:
BOB

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

We heard them chittering on the back deck last night! That was a first. We've seen them a lot, just haven't heard them. I didn't know raccoons can purr, too.

The folks who lived out here before us had lights strung up all over--connected with regular old extension cords to the main house. We quickly did away with all that and only have security lights that come on right next to the house with motion detectors. Our skywatching is wonderful!!!
Anne

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

mishmish3000 wrote:We heard them chittering on the back deck last night! That was a first. We've seen them a lot, just haven't heard them. I didn't know raccoons can purr, too.

The folks who lived out here before us had lights strung up all over--connected with regular old extension cords to the main house. We quickly did away with all that and only have security lights that come on right next to the house with motion detectors. Our skywatching is wonderful!!!
That purring came from the Bobcats!
BOB

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

I sure hope we don't hear the bobcats purring! That's a bit too close for me. (We just heard the chittering or chattering last night, and I looked it up this morning--it was definitely Vinnie and his pals. Probably out for a fun evening.) Only purring we heard was from our indoor kitties, when it was time for them to go to bed (that means it's time for yummy food).
Anne

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Here you go, Bob (and anyone else interested).
Dark Sky
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Here you go, Bob (and anyone else interested).
Dark Sky
Interesting. I'll check it out more thoroughly but I just might join up.
Thanks for the link, Bob.
BOB

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

I may, too! Thanks!
Anne