Why I Asked about a Typing Assist Addon

Leif
Administrator

Re: Why I Asked about a Typing Assist Addon

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:It actually looks far worse than it feels...
All I can say is - thank goodness for that!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery :smile:
Leif

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:I tried to warn about the ugly pic by changing the subject. :flee:
You could have put it in a spoiler with a huge PG21 warning before the person opens it! :grin:

That does look painful, but glad it subsided fast.
So if those pins stay in till May, do you use bandages to cover them and prevent them from hooking into all manner of clothes and things?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have put the image in spoiler tags.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

So they did enter into your body then and not just manipulate the bone. I must say that it seems to me that you have been trying to learn to sew and ended up breaking a couple of sewing machine needles in your finger. Most folk simply stick the needle into their finger from top to bottom :grin:
Glad to read that it ain't too painful Bob and god bedring.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Re:Not for the Squeamish

Post by Skitterbug »

BobH wrote: It actually looks far worse than it feels now. The pins will stay in for 6 weeks - they will come out early in May. This pic came from my first occupational therapy session 1 week after surgery. While it might appear to be painful, it has not been at all painful since the day after surgery when it was so painful opiates wouldn't relieve the pain. A bandage adjustment cured that.

I am using the hand to type but all pinkie keys are being hit by the ring finger.
Did I miss it? Did you say how this happened? Breaking any bone seems like it would hurt lots! Hope you heal quickly and that rehab isn't too painful either.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

LisaGreen
5StarLounger

Post by LisaGreen »

Glad it went ok Bob!!! Sending good vibes from the Netherlands!!!

Lisa

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, again, for all the well-wishes.

Skitterbug reminded me that I had not revealed the cause of my injuries. In short, it came from pretending to be as physically able at 74 as I was at 24 ... or even 64. :hairout: I was using a 30 lb. steel wrecking bar trying to chip away some concrete fragments from the edge of a sidewalk because it is in the way of running some underground electrical wiring in conduit. I pounded downward with the chipping end of the bar as hard as I could. Instead of the concrete blob giving way, the wrecking bar caromed off the blob and ricocheted carrying my left hand with it into the edge of a brick wall and shattering the proximal phalanx of the small finger. The good news is that I didn't cry or utter any profanities ... because it hurt so badly I couldn't breathe is the only reason, I'm certain.

Rudi asked about the wires and why they don't snag on things; so I'm posting this series of pics to explain why this is not a problem.

WARNING: THE SPOILER PIC IS A BIT GRUESOME SO PASS ON BY IF YOU FIND SUCH DISTURBING.
Spoiler
pin caps resized.jpg
The orange caps on the ends of the pins holding the bone together are there to prevent snagging in the bandages.

These pictures show how the wound is dressed first with gauze, then a custom-made splint is placed, then the whole is wrapped in elastic Ace brand bandage.
gauze wrap resized.jpg
hand brace resized.jpg
I'll show the third pic in another post (3's the limit per post)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobH on 20 Mar 2017, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Outer bandage on the injury...
wrapped hand resized.jpg
Again, thank you all for the kind thoughts and well-wishes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Oouch!!! I hope it recovers fast.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Very appropriate that this whole sequence of events occurs on the reassuring comforts of a dachshunds blanky. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Happy to hear that you are on the mend. Hopefully you are not a southpaw! There are so many things that are accomplished with the right hand, when that is the dominate hand. I feel your pain as I had a similar situation when I fell off a ladder coming down from our roof several years ago. Being the morbid person I am, I took pictures to ensure that my ladder climbing days would cease. (They have)

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH
Spoiler
xray3.jpg
2010-03-01 16.09.56.JPG
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Wow BobArch! You really had a bad one. I hope all healed well and that you are fine today.

Sometimes life has to teach its lessons, eh? I think my home handyman days are being numbered.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

That's quite a contraption!
I hope you didn't need to do any air travel while that was in. You'd have the whole airport on alert!!
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:That's quite a contraption!
I hope you didn't need to do any air travel while that was in. You'd have the whole airport on alert!!
Actually, the only metal is the 2 pins holding bone in place. The splint is made of a rubber or plastic material that, when heated, is pliable and can be conformed to the shape of the hand; but can then be cooled quickly in cold water and will thereafter hold its shape. The tan straps are sort of like the fuzzy piece of velcro, made of cloth.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:
Rudi wrote:That's quite a contraption!
Actually, the only metal is the 2 pins holding bone in place. The splint is made of a rubber or plastic material that, when heated, is pliable and can be conformed to the shape of the hand; but can then be cooled quickly in cold water and will thereafter hold its shape. The tan straps are sort of like the fuzzy piece of velcro, made of cloth.
Wonders of medicine! Not too long ago, you would have had a cast up to your elbow! :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

You're so right, VikingBob!

Another example of the wonders of modern medicine is the fact that surgery was done without general anesthesia. They used ultrasound to look at the nerves in my arm and injected concoctions that blocked all pain from the hand and numbed the arm all the way to fingertips. I had no muscle control of the arm until the blocking meds wore off about 5 hours later. I had to wear a sling until the block wore off else my arm would have dangled like a large salami down my left side.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

BobH wrote: Skitterbug reminded me that I had not revealed the cause of my injuries. In short, it came from pretending to be as physically able at 74 as I was at 24 ... or even 64. :hairout: I was using a 30 lb. steel wrecking bar trying to chip away some concrete fragments from the edge of a sidewalk because it is in the way of running some underground electrical wiring in conduit. I pounded downward with the chipping end of the bar as hard as I could. Instead of the concrete blob giving way, the wrecking bar caromed off the blob and ricocheted carrying my left hand with it into the edge of a brick wall and shattering the proximal phalanx of the small finger. The good news is that I didn't cry or utter any profanities ... because it hurt so badly I couldn't breathe is the only reason, I'm certain.

Rudi asked about the wires and why they don't snag on things; so I'm posting this series of pics to explain why this is not a problem.

I can't imagine being in pain so badly that it would be hard to even breathe! :ouch:I feel sad that you have been hurt but I am thankful that recovery is in process and that we have medical staff that can do wonders in repair work! Hope you continue to heal and be able to enjoy the coming months doing what you want with both hands!
Adding a prayer and hope for a speeding recovery for you!

Sandy
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I'm sorry Bob, I missed this thread because I thought it was about Typing addons which I know nothing of. :blush:

A very belated best wishes from me too and here's hoping for a full recovery Bob.
Cheers, Claude.