not a puzzle but a challenge

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

not a puzzle but a challenge

Post by Dave Davison »

In a nutshell, elderly neighbour dies, partner unaware of combination code or wherabouts of key to safe, local locksmith estimated £60 to drill out the lock so as a last resort I drilled it out & prised off the lock handle but short of having access to a welders torch or a stick of dynamite can't figure out how to release the bolts. Any reasonable suggestion would be appreciated but no sarcasm please seeing we are still in the festive mood? :xsad: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: not a puzzle but a challenge

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Dave, If you have proof of ownership, take it to local car crushing depot.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Wow...and interesting solution George? How'd you come up with that suggestion?
(Let's hope there aren't any fragile items in there - even with just a partial crushing, the shocks generated will easily break any glass, pottery or china.)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Rudi wrote:Wow...and interesting solution George? How'd you come up with that suggestion?
I'm a Scotsman, so it's cheaper than explosives. :xhumbug:
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.......might nose around and find a welder who can burn the door open; the lady has no idea what is inside though wharever it is can be heard when turned upside down. More curious than anything, though there is a saying here in the uk that "Curiosity killed the cat". Cheers Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dave Davison wrote:...though wharever it is can be heard when turned upside down.
It's like Christmas present wrapped in indestructible wrapping paper. For kids, its probably the stuff of nightmares!!! :shocked:
Regards,
Rudi

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

........and frustrating for me too as I can't wait to find out what is inside, return it to the rightful owner & see the look on her face. Phewwwwwwwwww Dave.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

You might have some success with an angle grinder and a thin metal cutting disk or slicing disk. They only cost a couple of bucks each. Don't use a grinding disk or masonry disk though.

Alan

Maybe like this, although these guys seemed to make a bit of a meal of it.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Find someone with a plasma cutter. They are becoming more and more common in home workshops as well as in metal fabrication shops. You would probably have to show that your request is licit and does not violate any law first.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Alan......I had a visit from a friend today [recently retired welder] who informs me he has an angle grinder with diamond impregnated wheels and only needs a transformer to drop the voltage to 110V but his son [a plasterer] has one so the task looks like being solved very soon. "UK building laws demand that on-site machinery must be 110Volt". As far as the video goes that you pointed me to I can't believe any of the guys are mechanical minded or at least one of them would have had the savvy to suggest cutting off the two halfs of the hinges that are welded to the body of the safe. The one I'm faced with has concealed hinges so making the job that bit more complicated. A [prosperous new year to all loungers] Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Good luck with it Dave. But I would still suggest using a thin metal-cutting disk rather than a diamond blade, especially if the hinges turn out to be hard, tough alloy or steel:

If you're unfamiliar with the process, take a look at this.

Alan

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Don't think good luck came into the picture, just plain old common sense, a bit of elbow greace and a small
crow bar then two words sum up the conclusion, Elation and Deflation. Chuffed that I was able to lever the bolts free of the frame then peaved off because there was only an emty cash box inside an otherwidse empty safe. Got one of my grandchildren to turn the key as we all watched eagerly on only to discover the only things inside were four bolts for fixing it to a wall. Hope it's not an omen of things to come in the new year though I do feel a little chuffed that I managed to open it whilst destroying it in the process. Cheers Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Congrats for opening it; but that is a bit disappointing, esp. since there was a few days of excited anticipation beforehand. :sad:
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's a bit of a letdown...
Best wishes,
Hans