Mouse Not Recognized

sobershea
2StarLounger

Mouse Not Recognized

Post by sobershea »

This is the 2nd time this has happened. I'm using my Logitech M315 wireless mouse when suddenly it quits working. I changed the battery - no change. I plugged the dongle into a different USB port and still nothing. Here is where it gets interesting. I plugged in hubby's mouse and tried to use it but still not recognized. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Logitech software including their connection (unifying) software. When I run the unifying software it says there isn't any unifying receiver plugged in. I looked in Device Manager and there are two unknown devices under USB controllers. I followed Microsoft's instructions when you have unknown devices, which was to uninstall them and reboot. When I rebooted Windows tried to install the device drivers and failed twice. Oh, and the computer keeps beeping and the beep is related to "Device Connect". So, at this point I am stumped. This very thing happened about 3 months ago and I assumed the mouse or dongle were dead since they were kind of old. I bought the new mouse and every thing worked fine. I am open to suggestions. Otherwise I guess I will go buy another mouse and see what happens. Using the touchpad sucks!! :groan:
TIA
Sherry

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Mouse Not Recognized

Post by Claude »

This is how I resolve such issues:

Remove the device, plug it into another computer, see if it works there;
if it doesn't work, throw the device in the recycling bin, if it worked properly, back to the other computer and:

In Device Manager: delete the unrecognized items;
unplug the device;
shut down the computer (not reboot);
remove power source;
wait ten minutes;
restart computer without the troublesome device plugged in;
wait till it's fully booted up;
run Glary Utilities and let it fix all problems found;
reboot computer;
now plug in the device again and let Windows install the drivers.

If that fails, log onto Logitech (in your case), download the latest driver setup software for your model and install that.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Claude.

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Thanks Claude, the mouse is now working. The mouse did work on another PC. When I started the PC after removing the battery, the unknown devices were gone from Device Manager but the mouse still wouldn't work. I verified that the USB ports were working and then uninstalled all things Logitech, ran Glary Utilities and rebooted without the mouse being plugged in. After the PC was up I plugged the receiver in and turned on the mouse and there it was! Now I need to know just what removing the battery does. Also, do you think it was Logitech software that was the issue, since the mouse is now working without it. If you can help me understand why everything is working I would be a happy camper. Or maybe its just a case of PFM???
:scratch:

Thanks again Claude,
Sherry

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

sobershea wrote:.... Now I need to know just what removing the battery does....
According to my hardware technician, it allows the capacitors to discharge so we're starting with a clean slate, so to speak, and we restart the computer from scratch. :scratch:

I've had a few occasions when I tried to fix a computer performing all the steps except removing the power supply, to no avail, repeating the process including the power source removal however fixed it. :shrug:
Cheers, Claude.

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

This was easy enough to do with my notebook, but what about desktops? Does it work on them also? And what/how would you remove?
Sherry

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

sobershea wrote:This was easy enough to do with my notebook, but what about desktops? Does it work on them also? And what/how would you remove?
Same applies. Shut down and disconnect the mains supply to the desktop for 10 minutes.
Leif

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

Well, I learned something new - love it! Thanks all.
Sherry

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

sobershea wrote:This was easy enough to do with my notebook, but what about desktops? Does it work on them also? And what/how would you remove?
You may try and unplug the power cable to remove the power source on a desktop computer. :smile: And yes, works there as well since the same principle applies.
Cheers, Claude.