Battery / power supply issue

jmt356
SilverLounger

Battery / power supply issue

Post by jmt356 »

After I dropped my laptop, whenever I would power it on, it would suddenly shut down one or two seconds later. I found that by removing the battery and leaving it only on the plug, it was able to work. Is my battery damaged? Can it be fixed by replacing the battery?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Battery / power supply issue

Post by HansV »

It could be the battery itself, but also the contacts or internal power cable.
I'd bring the laptop to a repair shop unless you feel very confident about opening its case.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Isn't it self-evident from the above description that the issue is with the battery? It is somewhat difficult to get to a repair shop where I am living ...
Regards,

JMT

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pardon me, but if it's so "self evident," why did you ask the question?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Just because something is self-evident to me doesn't mean it is true and corresponds to reality, especially in the area of computers where I have limited knowledge. I am posting to solicit the perspective of those with more knowledge / experience.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you have a spare battery, or can you borrow a battery from someone else with the same model? It'll only take a minute to test whether it works.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I think it is self-evident that the issue is with the battery, but whether it is due to damage to the battery itself, or due to some mechanical damage which is causing a problem when the battery is inserted, is not clear.

When you remove the battery, can you see any damage to it?

When you remove the battery, can you see any damage to the electrical connectors in the laptop?

When you remove the battery, can you hear anything rattling (or otherwise sounding loose) either within the battery itself or the laptop if you shake them?

To be honest, it would be exceedingly difficult to diagnose what the problem is remotely. When you say "...whenever I would power it on, it would suddenly shut down one or two seconds later" what exactly do you see? Does a power light come on, and then go off within two seconds? Does the laptop start to boot and then stop? Is the power cord connected with mains switched on all the time?
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I bought a new battery and so far it works fine. The battery charges and having it inserted into the laptop does not cause the laptop to suddenly shut down. Assuming no other problems arise, I think it can be concluded that the battery was the issue, even though upon inspecting it I didn't notice any physical damage.
Regards,

JMT