Dynamic Disk?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Dynamic Disk?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

The dust is settled and I am now the expert, in this office at any rate, on Dynamic vs. Basic disks.
EaseUs is the magic bullet.
They have a nice descriptive page What's the Dynamic disk?

I have an unresolved question, and I am sure that the erudite will answer it well in words of one syllable:

The Notebook is best described as an entry-level computer purchased through a national chain - could have been Best Buy or Tiger Direct or Future Shop.
Cost was $300+tax.
sys.png
Why would one issue such a computer with a Dynamic disk?

If I were buying myself a server-like device, I could understand me (but no-one else I associate with here) getting into a RAID-like setup or, if strapped for cash, a spanned volume hooking together several smaller drives for a massive-data project.

But Dynamic disk seems like an overkill for a $300 Notebook from the local office-supply store.

I found Difference Between Basic and Dynamic Disks in Windows XP/2000/2003 by Daniel Petri - January 8, 2009 to be quite readable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Dynamic Disk?

Post by HansV »

I assume that the manufacturer wanted to make disk and volume management easier (no restart needed after changing the configuration).
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I assume that the manufacturer wanted to make disk and volume management easier (no restart needed after changing the configuration).
Right.
But what entry-level user gets into disk and volume management ?
For a $300 machine bought at what is little more than a corner store, the purchaser doesn't end up twiddling partitions?
I think one of the articles said WinXP-Home didn't support Dynamics, but obviously Win7-Home does.
Maybe it's just easier to paint every new machine Dynamic, regardless of the destination.
It still seems like overkill for $300.
There again, I suppose the $300 end-user neither knows nor cares about Dynamic vs Basic.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:The dust is settled ...
This page turned up today.
I've read it and don't vouch for it.
I offer it as grist-for-the-reader's-mill.
itBusiness.ca
"How to install RAID drives for easy backup and improved performance"