Flash drive recommendations

curious
3StarLounger

Flash drive recommendations

Post by curious »

Evening -

I am planning to use Windows Backup and Restore utility and would like your recommendations on flash drives. I will be using a 16GB drive. Researching flash drives on the web, there are so many pro/con reactions to manufacturers that it seems like a crap shoot. Thus my coming home to Eileen's Lounge for your advice.

Thank you.

I have an unopened Lexar Jumpdrive but before I opened it I thought it was to ask the experts...

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Flash drive recommendations

Post by StuartR »

You need to check the read and write speed of any flash drive you are considering, cheaper flash drives may have very low I/O rates.

I have some Kingston 16GB drives with rated speeds of 10MB/s Read and 5MB/s Write and I have been very happy with them.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I wasn't looking for a backup device but I did by some solid state memory recently, a CF card for my digital camera. Perhaps my thinking will help you...

My criteria were to balance capacity, reliability, speed and cost. Reliability meant I only looked the brands of CF cards used by a pro. photographer I know, names like Lexar, SanDisk & Kingston. Speed is important to be able to capture a large number of pictures in succession but my camera is only 'mid-range' and I don't often shoot action shots so I don't need the fastest CF card on the planet. Speed and capacity cost are inextricably linked, more speed or cost = more £££. On balance my needs were met by a Kingston 16Gb 266x CF card.

Ken
PS I got my CF card here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/180518-kingston-u ... cf-16gb-u2

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thank you, StuartR and Ken -

I will be using the Flash to have a copy of my System, so it's really a one-time use (unless, of course, I have to restore from it). There is no indicaton on the package of its read/write speed but since it's only a one-time use, I guess the speed isn't paramount. But for future consideration, I do thank you.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Are you sure that the use of "Windows Backup and Restore utility " and a flash is the way you want to go.

I have found that the use of the USB External drives are faster, and are not subject to the damage that happens to this "Flash (thumb) drives. The cost of the USB external drives are a lot lower per gig, than any Flash drive.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thanks for posting, Dave. I thought to use the Flash because it will only be used once, to backup the existing system.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm sorry, but I have to join Dave in this one.

Why would you want to backup only ONCE? Things change on your computer on a constant basis and an hour after you backup, things will be different on your PC. So, in order to recover from a problem, you'll be putting back an "old" system that is no longer valid.

Making "image" backups is so easy, quick and if you use something like Macrium Reflect FREE Edition it's FREE except for the purchase of the external drive.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Dave and Big Al -

I understand totally what you are saying.

My thought was if I backed up C I could recover from a crash with the "basics" --just to get me up and running. I don't care about the files being updated. I make copies of the important ones as it is. I don't do any major changes to C - tho I guess updates would be considered a change???

So, if it's 'merely' C that I want to copy, would Windows Backup/Restore be sufficient?

Again my thanks for your input.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

curious wrote:So, if it's 'merely' C that I want to copy, would Windows Backup/Restore be sufficient?
I think you would be in a much better position than someone who does no backups at all, but consider this:
  • your Windows Registry potentially would be months out of date;
  • ditto your User Profile;
  • ditto all customizations for Apps;
  • ditto all your AppData;
  • ditto your browser profile(s) including your favorites/bookmarks
  • need I go on...?
Big Al and others here convinced me a long time ago of the value of FULL backups. Except for minor restores of files, I've never had to actually rely on them but I do sleep better at night knowing I have them.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Here are some figures to demonstrate how much change can occur to the system disk on a daily basis. I do a full backup once a week using Shadow Protect. I do incremental backups daily between 6:00 PM and 11:00 PM. Tonight's first incremental taken at 6:00 PM shows that there was over 297 MB of changed data to the System (C) disk. Over the same time period there was a change of 49 KB to the Data (D) disk. These changes happened between 11:00 PM last night and 6:00 PM tonight. While not part of the graphic, the equivalent figure for the System disk on Patch Tuesday (11 Oct. 11) was just over 1.25 GB.
SPI.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Okay you guys, one and all - I get it.

Thank you for leading me thru all this.

Best, Curious