New laptop essentials

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

New laptop essentials

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I'm curious what others would consider essential steps, and software, with a new (Windows 7 x64) laptop?
The steps I've taken so far are:

Create recovery DVD(s)
Installed Revo Uninstaller
Removed all "rubbish" software (particularly HP apps, Norton and Acrobat)
Installed Microsoft Security Essentials
Turn off UAC and Indexing
Install CCleaner and Foxit Reader
Perform Windows Update (particularly for MSE)

All going well, and I should have asked earlier :grin: , but still interested in any opinion(s). Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: New laptop essentials

Post by HansV »

Not sure about turning off UAC...

Other things:

Make sure that Windows Explorer does NOT hide the extensions of known file types.
Optionally: make Windows Explorer display hidden files and folders.
Install/update Adobe Flash Player.
Install/update the browser(s) of your choice.
Install Piriform Recuva (you never know when you might need it).
Install Secunia PSI (and run it from time to time).
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

agibsonsw wrote:Hello.
I'm curious what others would consider essential steps, and software, with a new (Windows 7 x64) laptop?
The steps I've taken so far are:

Create recovery DVD(s)
Installed Revo Uninstaller
Removed all "rubbish" software (particularly HP apps, Norton and Acrobat)
Installed Microsoft Security Essentials
Turn off UAC and Indexing
Install CCleaner and Foxit Reader
Perform Windows Update (particularly for MSE)

All going well, and I should have asked earlier :grin: , but still interested in any opinion(s). Andy.
Sounds like a good start, Andy. The only other thing I would suggest is a good "Imager" like Acronis True Image or Shadow Protect. Best insurance there is!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

IMO, turning UAC off is not good. Under normal circumstances you should not see much UAC activity. Additionally, you can use a utility such as TweakUAC to make it less verbose but still functional.

Joe
Joe

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you all :cheers: - interesting!

UAC has already been bugging me during the day. I've moved it to the lower setting and I'll see how much it annoys me. I wasn't aware of TweakUAC - thanks, I should check that out before deciding to disable UAC. (I was thinking UAC would be covered by the combination of Windows Firewall, Defender and MSE?)

I will investigate Secunia PSI - although it's a shame to need another program running constantly.. There should be one application called "Security" :smile:
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You don't need to have Secunia PSI running constantly. In Configuration > Settings, I cleared the check box to start it on boot.
x811.png
I start a scan manually roughly once a week. Several times now, it has alerted me to available updates that I wasn't aware of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

As Bob has commented about "imaging" backup, if you don't already have one, an external USB drive would be a mandatory essential for me if I still had a laptop. The price of HUGE drives has come down significantly in recent times. Making an image backup using one of the two Bob has mentioned is a fail safe method of protection.

If you're not of a mind to "invest" in one of those two programs, there IS the free Macrium Reflect.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Bigaldoc

I've never felt the need for these imaging backup features (famous last words..) - I don't have a huge number of documents. I just try to keep a USB pen that mirrors 'My Documents', and similarly on my netbook. I also email certain files to myself (which is a bit sad).

But I should look into these more 'formal' options. What about Windows 'Backup' and 'Windows Easy Transfer' - no good? Andy.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thought I'd got rid of most of the HP features but HP LaunchBox shows in the CCleaner startup list. Any one have experience of removing this?

There's also HP Connection Manager which I would like to remove. Revo Uninstaller still shows HP Software Framework; perhaps if I uninstall this all HP features will disappear?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

If you are asking about the group of Icons that are selectable before Windows starts, which I think is this " HP LaunchBox "

"HP LaunchBox" has no way of being uninstalled, as it runs from the BIOS and is NOT a Windows app.

The best thing to do is NOTHING, do not select anything and let the timer run. If you even move the Mouse, the timer restarts.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I'm not sure you should turn off indexing.

I always used to disable this on previous versions of Windows, but I find the indexing in Windows 7 reasonably effective and it has a fairly low impact on performance.
StuartR

Rui
StarLounger

Post by Rui »

agibsonsw wrote:Hi Bigaldoc

I've never felt the need for these imaging backup features (famous last words..) - I don't have a huge number of documents. I just try to keep a USB pen that mirrors 'My Documents', and similarly on my netbook. I also email certain files to myself (which is a bit sad).
So, if something goes wrong, you want to go through all this configuration process again?

Imaging is the best assurance of a safe point to return to, whether your systems gets caught in a bad installation, a user mistake, disk failure, virus infection, etc.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I agree with BigAl and Rui. If you rely on the recovery CD/DVDs and data back up only, you will be returned to square one and have to go through this whole process all over again, then apply potentially months of customizations. The advice to invest in an imaging program (free or purchased) and an external HDD is very sound and you will appreciate having this 'security blanket'.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you all :cheers:; I much appreciate all this good advice.

I've re-instated Indexing. I seem to recall reading, now that the point has been raised, that this feature is much less of a drain on resources than it used to be. And, as it's now more integral to the way W7 works, it's sensible to keep it on.

It seems that TweakUAC is not useful for Windows 7, as it doesn't extend beyond the provided features. I haven't looked into this, but would installing software "As Administrator" prevent the UAC warning from appearing repeatedly? If not I might eventually disable this feature - it's just too annoying.

What I might do is wait until I've got the laptop configured as I want and then buy some more DVDs :smile: and create an image. (I won't buy an external DVD as I rarely use DVDs them these days - USBs rock!)

I appreciate the backup and imaging advice but perhaps my circumstances are different to others. I'm primarily a trainer so most of my files are notes and samples; as long as I've got copies on a USB pen or my netbook then I'm sound. Similarly for my personal accounts, which are also available to me in email folders.

Regards, Andy.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Sorry. For some reason I thought the PC in question was running Vista. You are correct in that TweakUAC does not provide any more functionality than is already available with Windows 7.

I recommend you leave UAC on. I seldom see any UAC prompts during my normal actvity. Once you are finished installing and configuring UAC should be much less intrusive. If it is not then you are most likely dealing with a program that was not built operate in the Windows 7 security paradigm.

BTW, installing as administrator will not affect what happens when you run the program. You can try to change the properties of the .exe file using the Compatibility tab to enable "Run this program as administrator".

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Just to join the other side of UAC, yes or no debate.
I immediately turned off UAC when I got Vista and followed suit when I got Win 7.
Most annoying thing in years.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Joe.

UAC pops up whenever I start Revo Uninstaller or CCleaner, asking if I want to allow changes to my computer, but not for Foxit Reader. The penny's dropped and I realise that only certain applications should awaken UAC. (My view was distorted as these are the only applications that I currently have on the computer.)

@Viking33 Just seen you're post and quite agree :clapping:. But I'll let it ride for a while, with the qualifier that "if it's annoying me, it's outta here!"

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You'll see it always for Revo Uninstaller & CCleaner as those applications make changes to areas of the system that are normally off limits to users (i.e. system folders and files).

Joe
Joe

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

Off topic, because I can't find where you asked about uninstalling apps from your new laptop.

Have you tried PC DeCrapifier?
- http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What PC Decrapifer removes - http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/removes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit & back on topic:

I also woudn't turn off UAC just to save a few mouse clicks.

I have always partitioned drives on a new PC, leaving enough expansion room for the operating system on C: (30GB for W7) and the remainder as D:.

I then move My Documents to the D: partition.

Now when I image the C: partition using Macrium Reflect it takes less than 10 minutes. I don't need to image D: as everything including settings remain intact.

Only my documents, photos,media etc need backing up to an external drive as the one problem with this strategy is if the hard drive fails then everything is lost.
Regards
wasbit

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

How about a decent media player ?

VLC from http://www.videolan.org/ :thumbup:
Cheers, Claude.