Job in printer queue

jmt356
SilverLounger

Job in printer queue

Post by jmt356 »

Why is it that in the HP Deskjet F4100 Series print box when I select the job sent to printer and go to Document | Cancel, the Status changes to “Deleting …” but the print job never disappears from the queue?
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Job in printer queue

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:Why is it that in the HP Deskjet F4100 Series print box when I select the job sent to printer and go to Document | Cancel, the Status changes to “Deleting …” but the print job never disappears from the queue?
No help from here but it seems that it also happened occasionally with my HP Officejet 6000. I never pursued it with HP but guess I should have done so.
I just turned the printer off and on again and the queue cleared up.
This happened with both XP and Win7, if I remember correctly.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

The same thing happens with a fair few other printer brands, the same solution fixes the problem as well.
Cheers, Claude.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I suspect that this happens if the PC cannot communicate with the printer. You can't cancel the print job if you can't tell the printer about it. Power cycling the printer restores the connectivity.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Seeing Stuart's last reply reminded me of something you could check out. About a month ago I started having trouble between the computer and my HP 6980. I'm mostly using XP MCE and had not had any printing problems until about a month ago when this "communication" problem started.

It was suggested to me that I check Windows Firewall and add an "exception" for the port (9100) of the HP.

Haven't had any printing problems since that time. Just a thought...

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Turning off and turning on the printer works about 60% of the time for me. When it doesn't clear away the queued job, I can't print anything. Any new jobs I send get stuck behind the item whose Status is on "Deleting ..." In these situations, the only solution I have found is to completely restart the computer, which is a hassle when I have so many windows open and tasks I'm in the middle of.

Has anyone else tried Bigaldoc's solution and had success with it?
Regards,

JMT