undelete files from Dlink DNS323

cisy
StarLounger

undelete files from Dlink DNS323

Post by cisy »

I have accidentally deleted a few files from my Dlink DNS323 NAS. I would like to know if there are programs that can undelete files from this NAS. I am using WinXP and the NAS is map on the network as a networked drive Y.

Thanks

HansV
Administrator

Re: undelete files from Dlink DNS323

Post by HansV »

From a quick Google search I get the impression that 'standard' Windows unerase utilities aren't able to read your NAS. Try

DiskInternals Linux Reader (free), or DiskInternals Uneraser (not free, but free trial download available)
Best wishes,
Hans

cisy
StarLounger

Post by cisy »

Just to update my problem described earlier and see if anyone had encountered this strange thing: I followed Hans' advice and installed that Linux Reader to scan my hard disk. It did find the deleted file (let's call it invoice2010.accdb, an Access database). However this file changed to only 4K in size instead of the original 40+MB. So this database was no good to us any more. We got a backup copy and tried to put it onto the NAS (after putting everything together). Windows returned a msg saying that the file (2010) already existed and would not let us to overwrite it (we were using drag and drop in WinXP). So I changed the backup copy's name to invoice2011.accdb and then dragged it to the NAS. It worked.

After a day of entering data into this invoice2011.accdb, suddenly the invoice2010.accdb surfaced on our NAS. Furthermore, now both invoice2010 and invoice2011 are IDENTICAL. Not only they contain the same records (including those added into invoice2011 alone), they have the same modified date and time. Several forms that I had added to 2011 alone are also appearing in 2010. Whenever someone adds records to 2011, 2010 gets updated as well.

Could that be a virus on the system? I scanned it and could not come up with anything at all. :groan:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can't explain what happened, but I don't think it's a virus.
Best wishes,
Hans