Loading an Audio File from a Digital Voice Recorder

BobH
UraniumLounger

Loading an Audio File from a Digital Voice Recorder

Post by BobH »

(If this is in the wrong place, please excuse my ignorance and put it where it belongs - even in the waste bin.)

I have an Olympus digital voice recorder. I have no idea what format it records in but I would guess that it is MP3. I have a cable attached from the dvr earphone jack to my laptop's mic jack. The dvr is powered up, but the computer doesn't see it as a device (didn't really expect it to).

I have Audacity and thought that I might somehow be able to convince it to listen to the mic port and record the file, but I've been unable to do so so far.

Has anyone ever done this successfully? If so, I would really appreciate some pointers. I need to get this file into Audacity so that I can snip out some unwanted content.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Loading an Audio File from a Digital Voice Recorder

Post by HansV »

The Hardware forum seemed more appropriate for this question than Scuttlebutt.
Best wishes,
Hans

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

Bob,

I have an Olympus ws-300mand it records in the WMA format. The unit I have comes apart at the battery compartment exposing a USB plug. Plug it in and it is recognized as a device with removable storage.

If your unit also uses the WMA format Audacity will not recognize the WMA format unless you are using Audacity 1.3.12-Beta with the FFmpeg Import/Export Library Plug-In installed. I haven't tried transferring files using the earphone jack so don't have any idea if it would work or not.

JB
:music:

JB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, JB!

My device is a much less expensive unit and has no USB port. I will check into Audacity 1.3.12 Beta.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

I'm using Audacity 1.3.12, but the latest version is 1.3.13. (Sorry about that) Here's the page. Scroll about half way down the page and you will see the Plug-Ins. The FFmpeg is the one you need for WMA files.
:music:

JB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Got it. Thanks, JB.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)