Graphics card upgrade

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Graphics card upgrade

Post by viking33 »

I've been sort of checking around to upgrade my graphics/video card.
Right now I have an ATI Radeon 3450 series with 512MB, DDR2 on board memory.
I've used both ATI and NVidia cards but I'm still torn between which of the two brands are superior.
( if there is a difference )

I'm looking to upgrade to either one, IF the price is reasonable and the upgrade is indeed worth it.

Any opinions out there one way or the other?
This may be like asking which AV or firewall one prefers but fire away.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Graphics card upgrade

Post by HansV »

I don't think it matters much. ATI Radeon and NVidia have been playing leapfrog for many years - one will take the lead, but the other won't be far behind, and will do its best to take over again. So I'd just look for the best deal you can get in the quality range you'd like (if you want to play 3D shooter games, you need more horsepower than if you want to view YouTube video)
Best wishes,
Hans

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I have read of more problems recently with NVidia than with ATI, esp with drivers. I used to use nothing but NVidia, but recently have had great luck with ATI. Just my 2 cents.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

tedshemyers wrote:I have read of more problems recently with NVidia than with ATI, esp with drivers. I used to use nothing but NVidia, but recently have had great luck with ATI. Just my 2 cents.
So far, from what I hear and what I've read, the race still appears to be a tie between the two vendors.
I'm not in any rush to change, so I'll continue to hope for more sage advice here or in my Googling around.
Others feel free to pop in with any thoughts. :thankyou:
BOB

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'm with Hans, from my perspective there's not a lot between them, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Your best bet might be to search out hardened gamers, where every last drop of graphic performance is essential to the experience.

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:I'm with Hans, from my perspective there's not a lot between them, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Your best bet might be to search out hardened gamers, where every last drop of graphic performance is essential to the experience.

Ken
Thanks, Ken.
I certainly don't fall into the hardened gamer category but I do like to improve performance if possible.
Windows 7 performance information and tools test shows all items scoring a high 5 or 6, except for graphics with Aero. I like Aero so wouldn't care to disable that but thought a better graphics card might bump the numbers up more in line with the other tests.
BOB