Wrist rests - yes or no?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Wrist rests - yes or no?

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.

I purchased a couple of gel wrist rests as I understood they were supposed to be good for you and I was occasionally experiencing a little discomfort. I found they weren't helping, and were maybe making things slightly worse, so I was searching for advice on the best placement for them.

But I came across a site advising to NOT USE THEM at all as they can make things worse, especially in relation to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CST).

Do you have any insight to offer? I also use a much lighter, non-gel, wrist rest, which I find very comfortable (by a company called Allsop) - I call it my boat :smile:. I think this might be much preferable is it moves with my arm, whereas a gel-version keeps the wrist anchored at a set position(?).

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Wrist rests - yes or no?

Post by HansV »

The following is my personal experience/opinion only.

Although I use computers many hours a day (what a surprise, eh?), I don't use a wrist rest. I have tried various kinds, but I don't like them - I tended to rest too heavily on them, putting to much pressure on my palm/wrist.

(Searching Google for pros and cons of wrist rests, I came upon a discussion of "Pros And Cons Of Tattoos On Different Body Parts". I don't think we should go into that here... :laugh:)
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... a discussion of "Pros And Cons Of Tattoos On Different Body Parts". I don't think we should go into that here...
When you get to my age you'd be delighted to have a marching band ("military drum performance") march across your back and aching shoulders.
The music would be a distinct bonus.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

@Hans thanks.

I'm relegating these gel rests to the back of my cupboard. I might stick with my little boat though as it seems to help.

What I want to try and do is to move my arm away from the mouse, and even turn my arm to a different position, when I'm not using the mouse. (At work I frequently switch hands which is helpful as well.)

I've been using compact mice for a while now but I've just taken delivery of a Microsoft 4000 mouse - which I'm loving! - which is a bit more substantial and, I believe, better for extensive use.

Andy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I'm with Hans!

I've tried them several times and never found them to be helpful. Instead, I found myself putting too much weight - like Hans - on the gel pads which caused me to change the ergonomic arrangement of my wrists which caused problems instead of solving them.

I also have a mouse pad with a gel pad wrist rest. Same problem. I now use Logitech ergonomic mice. My wrist pain has gone away.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I also tried a gel wrist rest and decided that it caused more wrist strain, so stopped using it again.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I decided to check out this item made by Allsop. ( like the one you call the boat ) Got it from Amazon for 6 bucks.
It's got to work better than my old sweatshirt balled up under my wrist. Thanks for the tip, Andy.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

viking33 wrote:I decided to check out this item made by Allsop. ( like the one you call the boat ) Got it from Amazon for 6 bucks.
It's got to work better than my old sweatshirt balled up under my wrist. Thanks for the tip, Andy.
I received the wrist rest and have been valiantly trying to get used to it.
One problem is the inability to stay in one place. As far as an endorsement, the jury is still out but I haven't given up yet.
BOB

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

viking33 wrote:I received the wrist rest and have been valiantly trying to get used to it.
One problem is the inability to stay in one place. As far as an endorsement, the jury is still out but I haven't given up yet.
He, he, yes I still occasionally find it flying across the room (a flying boat?). This could be an ergonomic feature, to prevent me sitting in the same position for too long :laugh:

I was struggling a little to get used to my (larger) MS 4000 mouse. I understood that a larger mouse is better for one, but I've reverted to my compact mouse MS500 V2 for a while - it's so light and I can boot it around the screen at a million miles an hour.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

After having ergonomic problems with mice for years, I bought a Logitech MX Revolution wireless mouse. It is large enough to fit my paws yet designed to have the thumb fit nicely in a hollowed space. I don't know if they make one for southpaws, but it is the perfect mouse for me. In fact, after about 5 or 6 years of constant use, I wore the first one out recently (click keys no longer worked crisply) and bought a new one. It has some new features.

If anyone is looking for an ergonomic and user friendly mouse, I highly recommend the Logic MX Revolution.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I've had my AST Computer foam pad in front of my keyboard since there was an AST Computer facility in Ft. Worth, TX. That means I've used this pad since 1997 when Samsung bought and shut down our location.

It's a heavy foam pad, about 3/4" (1.9 cm for the rest of the world) thick, extending across the front of a "standard" size AT-style keyboard. I like resting my hands there so I don't tire my shoulders keeping my hands over the keyboard.

At work I have this ergonomic keyboard tray that lifts, tilts, etc. and it has pads built in for both keyboard and mouse. It's OK but I still prefer my old AST pad.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

agibsonsw wrote:
viking33 wrote:I received the wrist rest and have been valiantly trying to get used to it.
He, he, yes I still occasionally find it flying across the room (a flying boat?). This could be an ergonomic feature, to prevent me sitting in the same position for too long :laugh:

I was struggling a little to get used to my (larger) MS 4000 mouse. I understood that a larger mouse is better for one, but I've reverted to my compact mouse MS500 V2 for a while - it's so light and I can boot it around the screen at a million miles an hour.
I've even tried using an 8 inch Velcro strip across the top of the wrist and attached to each end of the WR. That holds it in place but it does get a little annoying after a while with this "thing" hanging there.
I have also purchased a Maxell wireless ergonomic mouse that tilts and rolls side to side and all. It's full size and fast but I retained my older MS optical wired mouse, so I can use either one.
BOB

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Bob. Very "star trek" mouse :smile: (I refer to the Logitech one.)

@PJ I understand that we are not supposed to rest on the keyboard rest while typing, which is counter-intuitive. But, hey, if it works for you..

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

An alternative to Bob's tilting mouse might be a hover mouse..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

.. or even..

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:What I want to try and do is to move my arm away from the mouse,
Hi Andy.
I have a question: Do you find that your (right?) hand is resting on the mouse most of the time?

I am of the opinion that 9 times out of 10 the keyboard is faster, yet find myself still seduced by the mouse, and that my wrist grows tired.

That I haven't succumbed to CST I put down to my predilection to keyboard. (Inserting a hyperlink is Ctrl-K, Alt-F, Tab, Tab, tab, then the generic file name; not that you have to know that, but I know that I use a series of keystrokes where others would "Click on Insert, click on Hyperlink, Click on ...".)

Consider placing the mouse a foot or so to the right and forcing yourself to use the keyboard, or timing yourself to see how long you can go without using the mouse.
An over-use of the mouse may be the cause of the problem.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Chris.

Very much a keyboard man myself (Alt-Space X :cheers: ) but optimal is a combination of the mouse and keyboard, no?

I'm a leftie but use my right-hand for mousing, although at work I frequently switch hands - find this helps and a useful skill, particularly when using two computers. (I can also type this post and watch Jeeves and Wooster at the same time :grin: )

My issue seems resolved and I'm beginning to suspect that it might have been initated when I was doing a lot of Access (2010) form and report design: I'm sure it was easier to grab hold of and move things in Access 2003!

At home my mouse is on my chair's arm rest and I do find myself continuing to hold the mouse even though I'm not using it. I need to continue to try and break this habit; although, if I move the mouse a foot to the right it will parascend to the floor :grin:

Regards, Andy.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

agibsonsw wrote:Very much a keyboard man myself (Alt-Space X :cheers: ) but optimal is a combination of the mouse and keyboard, no?
Hi Andy; quite so.
I teach that it's important to cut switching between the two to a minimum, too.
It's just that in the last two years i am conscious of using the mouse more than ever before.
Perhaps that's symptomatic of me spending more time browsing the web, or working with images...

Well, time for me to paradescend and make a cuppa ..

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Andy,
--------------------
I'm a leftie but use my right-hand for mousing,
--------------------
How strange. I'm a righty but use my left hand for mousing. If I use the right hand, I'm much more inaccurate at placing the cursor. :mouse:
BOB

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi Bob.
It was so long ago, but I believe it was a deliberate decision to use my right-hand so that my left-hand would remain free for writing.
But I now find it quite useful, and it reduces strain, to switch occasionally during the day. Would recommend it (with practice..).
Andy.