Advanced format disks - support?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Advanced format disks - support?

Post by John Gray »

I'd like to replace my laptop's 200 GB SATA 2½" internal drive with a 750 GB version. This new drive comes as an Advanced Format hard disk, with physical 4K sectors rather than physical 512 byte sectors. The new disk specification includes the phrase "Physical 4K blocksize with 512 emulation".

Having read http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storag ... rd-disks/1 I am not really the wiser on whether I can simply replace the 200 GB drive with the new 750 GB drive, without worrying about hard disk controller and software driver compatibilities...

Does any hardware techie have a view on this?

Thanks
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Advanced format disks - support?

Post by JoeP »

For Windows 7 see Update that improves compatibility with advanced format disks. Note the "for more information" links at the end of the article.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks very much, Joe! I wonder whether I need to remove the dual-boot and Windows XP from the laptop, and leave it as a pure Windows 7 box?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Joe

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

John: Don't miss the blurb at the end of Joe's recent article. It sounds like imaging software is something one should check beforehand. Of course, by now the softwares could be up to snuff.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I saw a post (dated January) on the Macrium Reflect website which said that it supported Advanced Format disks. I would probably use their v5 Clone Disk facility...
John Gray