Value RAM DDR3

RonH
SilverLounger

Value RAM DDR3

Post by RonH »

Are these lower cost DDR3's generally OK? Most on the net seem to think so but I value the opinion of 'Eileen'. I am going to increase my RAM from 4-8GB and have had the following suggested for use with my Intel i7:
KINGSTON ValueR DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 4G (KVR1333D3S9/4G)
I do not plan to overclock and very much doubt that I will use all 8GB at any time ... mostly I need the extra for photo software work to speed up the operation.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Value RAM DDR3

Post by viking33 »

RonH wrote:Are these lower cost DDR3's generally OK? Most on the net seem to think so but I value the opinion of 'Eileen'. I am going to increase my RAM from 4-8GB and have had the following suggested for use with my Intel i7:
KINGSTON ValueR DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 4G (KVR1333D3S9/4G)
I do not plan to overclock and very much doubt that I will use all 8GB at any time ... mostly I need the extra for photo software work to speed up the operation.
Ron,
Who suggested the DDR3 for your system?
Kingston brand is usually a very good choice for the manufacturer but I would go to http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a free system scan and see what they recommend for your particular setup.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Personally I buy no memory other than from Crucial. Rapid delivery, and never put a bit wrong!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

The problem with off brand RAM is it's intermittent on whether it will work properly or not. Some of this RAM is made under less than ideal conditions in areas where quality control is almost non-existant. They might work, but just as often don't or become intermmitent with heat changes (guess what happens inside PC's). Why take a chance on creating intermmitent problems with your OS.
Last edited by tedshemyers on 03 Jul 2011, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for all your inputs ... the Crucial scanner is a great tool!
I must say that I thought that Kingston Value R was not 'off brand' ... all the write ups that I have read seem to suggest that they are OK for normal use. I got one on the advice of a computer shop but of course, they sell what they have! But my knowledge of this subject is very limited and I think the wise thing to do is 'up the quality'.
I like the thought of 'never a bit wrong'. Gosh ... electronic gismos are cheap over in America!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

By sheer coincidence, some second-hand Dell Optiplex GX520s had been supplied to us a few weeks' ago with new 1 GB Kingston standard RAM sticks therein. I ran Microsoft Memory Diagnostic against them (see a previous post!) for a day or two and got errors in the various PCs totalling all the way from none to lots. Another batch of the same RAM was absolutely clear of errors.

It really isn't worth the money/effort/time/hassle buying 'cheap' RAM... (IMNVHO, of course!)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

John Gray wrote:... I ran Microsoft Memory Diagnostic against them (see a previous post!) for a day or two and got errors in the various PCs totalling all the way from none to lots. Another batch of the same RAM was absolutely clear of errors.
It really isn't worth the money/effort/time/hassle buying 'cheap' RAM... (IMNVHO, of course!)
Hi John,

Just as a side note on memory testers... A few months back I was having issues with a new build (had 4 x 4GB DDR3). In trying to determine the source I used the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic and it found nothing... declaring the memory to be OK. Being a skeptic, I then ran Memtest86+ v4.20 and it found the offending stick of memory.

As stated... "just a side note"... :grin:
Regards,
Bob

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks, Bob - I also use Memtest86 because on my 4 GB memory box MMD gives a warning message about not being able to test a small area of memory!
John Gray