Noresco 4-264 Stereo (Quadraphonic) tuner/amp

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Noresco 4-264 Stereo (Quadraphonic) tuner/amp

Post by ChrisGreaves »

(Correct Forum?)
I grabbed a Noresco 4-264 Stereo (Quadraphonic) tuner/amp out of a recycle bin last night, and did damage to my other rotator cuff lugging it home.
Beautiful piece of equipment.
Weird speaker plugs, though:
Small.jpg
I have unscrewed one plug and see wires.
I grabbed a pair of old mini-speakers and dragged the plug across the wires and heard sound (I had it on an AM station, so I can't say I heard music ...)

It seems to me that unless I want to go find buy speakers with that special plug, I may as well just re-solder those wires to regular plugs.
Or else just hard-wire some wiring in their and twist wires to avail myself of an extra 4 speakers throughout the place.

My Big Beige Box is a jukebox and pipes music 24/7 to my office and to my living-room.
Four more speakers would mean
  • Kitchen
  • Bedroom
  • Spare bedroom and
  • Bathroom
would all be Muzaked, too.
For :free:

Comments?

(I'll wait 24 hrs then just go ahead. It was destined for a crusher anyway, right?)

P.S. Or might I just push speaker wires, neatly soldered tips, into those holes at the exterior end of the speaker sockets?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Noresco 4-264 Stereo (Quadraphonic) tuner/amp

Post by viking33 »

Chris,
Those are an early version of a low profile polarized DIN audio jack.
Amazingly, they are still available at some sources. I use MCM Electronics a lot and they are one source at 2 for $.71 cents US ( plus shipping )

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/CN00767" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Called 2 pin DIN plugs, they MAY be available at your local electronics store, such as Radio Shack, if you have something similar in your area. ( save on shipping costs )
Second choice for me would be getting at the wiring and putting my own plug and jack arrangement in place. Just sticking the wire ends in the old jacks is not a very reliable way to do it and would probably lead to loose and noisy connections before long.
BTW, the round pin connection is usually the positive lead and the blade is the negative side of the audio.

Edited to add:
Are you sure of the name Noresco, not Norelco? Doesn't make much difference, the connectors are the same.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:Just sticking the wire ends in the old jacks is not a very reliable way to do it
Hi Bob, and thanks for the rapid AND authoritative and informative response.
I agree, wire-plug is a shonky way to do it, but it will carry me over the next few days while I test out my arrangements, and until I can get back to civilization (in the form of a RS or equivalent store) right?
Are you sure of the name Noresco, not Norelco? Doesn't make much difference, the connectors are the same.
Yup!
Medium.jpg
Apologies for the cruddy focus:
IMG_5052.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

have a wikipedia
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:have a wikipedia
Thanks, Jon.
I did ("Loudspeaker connector - A polarised two-pin unshielded connector") and am now struggling not to make a bad joke about plugging in loudspeakers and making a din. :evilgrin:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hooked up (wire plugged in) and functioning.
yee-hah!

Thanks Guys!!!
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG
Straight out of the horrible blue recycling bin and into my office.