Upgrading memory

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Upgrading memory

Post by AlanMiller »

Currently I'm running XP Pro SP3 with 2 x 256MB of DDR-SDRAM. I'm wanting to upgrade to the maximum appropriate for my system. I'm guessing that these memory modules might now be regarded as "old" and I'll be replacing rather than appending (no problem with the low cost of RAM nowadays).

My question is how do I determine what "newer" memory (if any :crossfingers:) will be able to slot in. Can I glean this info without having to get inside the box?

thanks
Alan

HansV
Administrator

Re: Upgrading memory

Post by HansV »

If you go to http://www.crucial.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, you can download a scanner that will check what's inside and get recommendations from the Crucial website for upgrading.
x12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Hi Alan,

I agree with Hans and have an alternate recommendation.
By accident on eBay.Com some time ago - I came across a company called 4AllMemory.Com. The company has a 100% Compatibility Guarantee.

You can determine the type of memory you need via one of three main methods:
1)Online Adviser Tool by motherboard.
2)Check My System Option which downloads a tool that automatically checks your computer system and makes recommendations.
3)Online Adviser Search By Computer Model Name.

They also have a "Standard Memory" column you can use if you know the type, speed, etc of the memory module you are looking for.

I have used the download tool on ~18-20 machines and have not had a problem yet. I also frequently use the site as a lookup tool on memory modules I am interested in.

Hope this helps.
Scott

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks gents. Just what the doctor ordered.

:thankyou:
Alan

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

In praise of Crucial!

In another location, long long ago, I asked the same question, having then only 248MB of RAM on my ancient machine. http://www.crucial.com was the response I got from the guys and it worked superbly for me. it scanned my computer - told me exactly how many slots I had available - and just how much RAM I could add. It also identified type and card id. I purchased 2 x 1GB cards from them and received them almost by return of post. And a very happy chappy I was too!!
:fanfare:
Regards,
Keith

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Me too! Even though I had only paid for the cheapo "post it when you get round to it" service, they sent it by first-class post so I would get it before Christmas!

Really a company with excellent customer service (in the UK).
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Excellent customer service in the US in my experience.

Joe
Joe