Laptop Display Problem

BobH
UraniumLounger

Laptop Display Problem

Post by BobH »

The laptop is an HP530 about 5 years old running WinXP-SP3 (because I didn't like the Vista that came on it). Of late, when trying to restart active use after hibernation, the display goes black (unlit) after a brief flash of display lasting only a part of a second; and nothing I do with keyboard or mouse will bring it back. So far, a hard power-off and power restart have returned the unit to proper functioning.

Is this a symptom of an imminent device failure or could it be software related? I can't think of anything that I've installed or any changes to settings that I've made that would affect the way the monitor works or how hibernation is restarted.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Laptop Display Problem

Post by StuartR »

It would probably be a good idea to make sure you have the latest BIOS and graphics driver for the laptop, problems with the display when resuming from hibernation are often related to software and firmware bugs.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Stuart.

Drivers and BIOS are current if the information on the HP site is accurate.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

I would ensure you have a good image of your HD in case of a hardware failure. This could be some kind of hardware problem. Laptops tend to run hoter than desktops due to limited cooling capabilities so I would not be surprised it's a harware failure. You might try to clean all the cooling vents in case heat is building up from clogged vents.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit