Hp Deskjet 2460 Printer

RonH
SilverLounger

Hp Deskjet 2460 Printer

Post by RonH »

Hope this is not a stupid question :scratch:
Presently I have this Deskjet connected to a Vista pc. I am going to purchase a new laptop with 64bit Windows 7. Assuming I can get the correct software to operate this printer with 64 bit Windows 7, can I still then use it with the Vista pc by simply removing the USB from the Windows 7 and plugging it into the Vista? If the software is simply 'pc software' then I am guessing that the actual printer is a 'dummy', simply taking its instructions from the pc (software) :thankyou:
I should have added that my printer is USB cable connected and not connected via wireless.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Leif
Administrator

Re: Hp Deskjet 2460 Printer

Post by Leif »

If you have the drivers for both systems (installed in the relevant pc!) then yes, you should be able to simply unplug the printer from one and plug it into another.

One word of warning, although my only experience of this is with a laptop running XP:
If I install the printer with the cable plugged into (say) USB port 1, it is installed as (e.g.) "HP Color LaserJet CP3505".
If I then plug it into USB port 2, the printer is reinstalled as "HP Color LaserJet CP3505 (2)", and I then have two printers installed. I have to work out which printer to print to depending on which port I attach the printer...
Leif

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Leif. Just to be sure that I understand ... I need to have 'Window 7 to printer' with its correct driver for the printer and in the Vista pc the correct driver for 'Vista to printer'?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My default printer on my XP desktop is a HP inkjet. I also have a Canon printer that I sometimes plug in. Unlike Leif, this second printer doesn't reinstall itself if I just connect it to any old USB port but it does only work if I connect it to a certain USB port.

In other words to use it, I have grovel on the floor and plug it into the most awkward to reach USB port on my PC and not the handy easy access one because that was the port I had it attached to when I first installed. One day I'll remove it from the system and reinstall it on a handy to reach port but it doesn't get enough use for it to irritate me into doing that.

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

RonH wrote:Thanks Leif. Just to be sure that I understand ... I need to have 'Window 7 to printer' with its correct driver for the printer and in the Vista pc the correct driver for 'Vista to printer'?
Yes, you will need the appropriate Windows 7 driver(s) in the W7 pc, and the correct Vista driver(s) in the Vista pc. The printer itself doesn't know or care what it is plugged into. (Well, mine don't!)

(See also Printer driver - Wikipedia)
Leif

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Leif wrote:
RonH wrote:Thanks Leif. Just to be sure that I understand ... I need to have 'Window 7 to printer' with its correct driver for the printer and in the Vista pc the correct driver for 'Vista to printer'?
Yes, you will need the appropriate Windows 7 driver(s) in the W7 pc, and the correct Vista driver(s) in the Vista pc. The printer itself doesn't know or care what it is plugged into. (Well, mine don't!)

(See also Printer driver - Wikipedia)
I thought that printers were dumb so we can 'fool' them into doing what we want them to do :grin:
Good one Leif.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

stuck wrote: In other words to use it, I have grovel on the floor and plug it into the most awkward to reach USB port on my PC and not the handy easy access one because that was the port I had it attached to when I first installed. One day I'll remove it from the system and reinstall it on a handy to reach port but it doesn't get enough use for it to irritate me into doing that.
Ken
If I might digress from the original post...
Ken, in situations like this I usually use usbdeview (here). You should be able to view the port that the printer wants to attach to and delete the connection. Next time you slap the printer in, it should go through the install routine (and find the files already on your PC, if you're really lucky)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just an update that may assist others. I decided to try Windows7 to my Deskjet 2460. The HP download was HUGE with all the cxxx that I do not want! After a bit of a think session I had a look at Control Panel/Hardware & Sound/Install Printer ... and decided to give it a go. Within 30 seconds, the Windows programme had downloaded a driver and installed it ... and it works :clapping: And the printer also continues to work from my Vista pc

Sometimes it pays to keep it simple ...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

A further option if you have a spare port on your router, is a print server which allows all the PCs on the network access to the printer. USB print servers are less than £30 in the UK.

My ancient HP Laserjet is currently connected by a parallel print server to the LAN, which allows printing from two W7 Pro 64bit desktops & wireless printing from a W7 laptop.
Regards
wasbit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

wasbit wrote:A further option if you have a spare port on your router, is a print server which allows all the PCs on the network access to the printer. USB print servers are less than £30 in the UK.

My ancient HP Laserjet is currently connected by a parallel print server to the LAN, which allows printing from two W7 Pro 64bit desktops & wireless printing from a W7 laptop.
I think you can only do this when all pc's are using Windows 7? I have one on Vista and the new baby on Windows7.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

RonH wrote: I think you can only do this when all pc's are using Windows 7? I have one on Vista and the new baby on Windows7.
Nope, the operating system is irrelevant.

As long as each PC/laptop has the correct printer drivers installed & can see the printer on the network, then there shouldn't be any problems.

Originally my desktops were running Windows XP & the laptop, Windows 7 & they all printed ok.

Regards
wasbit
Regards
wasbit

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

wasbit wrote: Nope, the operating system is irrelevant ...
Regards
wasbit
Thanks for your advice
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

wasbit wrote:USB print servers
Perhaps I'm not Googling correctly but I've yet to find such a beastie that supports bidirectional functionality. Also, some have lists of 'compatible printers', implying only a small number of the vast array of printers out there actually work on these gizmos.

Any suggestions?

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Perhaps I'm not Googling correctly but I've yet to find such a beastie that supports bidirectional functionality.
Google or search Amazon for 'usb parallel printer cable' and look for IEEE 1284 - e.g. ABC Products ® USB to Parallel Port Adapter Cable Lead: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics.

(Last link may time out or be cookie-specific.)
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Thanks Leif but that looks like just a cable, Wasbit suggested a mini USB print server.

Ken

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

stuck wrote:
Perhaps I'm not Googling correctly but I've yet to find such a beastie that supports bidirectional functionality. Also, some have lists of 'compatible printers', implying only a small number of the vast array of printers out there actually work on these gizmos.

Any suggestions?

Ken
I use one of these little doodahs on a samsung multifunctin printer. It requires software at each PC if you want to scan from them, but just prints without too* much trouble.

* It automatically detects when you have an important document needing printed NOW and requires a restart (unplug power/replug power) before it'll print :innocent:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

stuck wrote:Thanks Leif but that looks like just a cable, Wasbit suggested a mini USB print server.
Sorry - you are right... :hairout:
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

jonwallace wrote:It automatically detects when you have an important document needing printed NOW and requires a restart (unplug power/replug power) before it'll print
Situation normal then :laugh:

:cheers:

Ken

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

stuck wrote:

Any suggestions?

Ken
Communication is via the printer drivers & the printer capabilities by the manufacturers software. Just because the printer is networked doesn't alter anything.

The print server software also has to be installed on each PC ie it's not plug & play.

The print server linked to by jonwallace is the USB version of mine & should work with any USB printer.
Regards
wasbit

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

wasbit wrote:Communication is via the printer drivers & the printer capabilities by the manufacturers software.
That was what I though too but there are definitely lots of people out there grumbling about how certain features, e.g. like ink levels, are not available once they connect their printer to a device like this.

Ken