replacing battery

aekyall
4StarLounger

replacing battery

Post by aekyall »

Background: When my XP(H) hard drive crashed a year ago and couldn't be recovered I ended up buying a new computer with W7(HP) which I now use as my main computer - I subsequently got my computer shop to replace my XP hard drive on the old machine which I now flash up about once a week (poss even two weeks!) as a back-up and to keep its software up to date. Recently, on boot up, the XP machine's clock is way (and I do mean way) out of kilter and it's pretty obvious (I think!) that the battery has had its day (it's been in the machine since I bought it in 2003 - 2003 is actually the date it now shows when I boot up! Once I reset the clock all runs okay - until the next time I power the machine on.

Question: I cannot find anything here in Eileen's re changing batteries although I can vaguely remember the subject being discussed over in the other place, many moons ago. How easy (or not) would it be for me to replace the battery in my XP machine? Are there any pitfalls? Do I need to buy a specific type of battery or are they all standard? Where actually is the battery located and what's it look like? What else do I need to know? (the sum total of my computer knowledge, to date, goes only as far as adding extra RAM!

Grateful any/all suggestions.
Thanks,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Re: replacing battery

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Many thanks Hans - That seems easy enough!!
:chocciebar:
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Be careful though!
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

You bet! There were several other videos on the same U-tube page, all covering the same issue but from a variety of perspectives (including the Aussie one!!) - watched them all! (especially the one about possible power residues).
Cheers!
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Quick update - bought new battery and had no problems replacing the old one. End result: one fully functioning XP(H) back-up computer!
Help appreciated (as always) :clapping:
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good for you! :thumbup:
Best wishes,
Hans