Which 1920x1080 monitor?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ManufacturerModel$cdn@StaplesSize (ins)Contrast ratio
BENQG2220HD13021.540000:1
ACERX233H1472340000:1
BENQG2410HD15023.540000:1
BENQG2420HDB1702440000:1
ACERG245H2402480000:1
Staples is not the best place to shop for Monitors, but on Sunadys it is quiet and they are unlikely to chuck you out if you spend 45 minutes playing with their toys.
This thread suggested I go for the largest I could afford.
Hrmph. And a "resolution of 1920x1080" seems recommended.
The table above lists 5 models on their shelves, in ascending price.
Please and thank you - what is the significance of the "Contrast Ratio"?
I was struck by most monitors being 40,00 to 1 and just one of them being twice that. Quite a jump.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Which 1920x1080 monitor?

Post by HansV »

The contrast ratio is the difference between the brightest white and the darkest black the monitor can display. Theoretically, higher is better, but it's doubtful whether you'd really notice the difference between 40000:1 and 80000:1 in real life. Both are high.

With the same resolution, text etc. will be more than 10% larger on a 24" monitor than on a 21.5" monitor. Depending on your eyesight, a 21.5" monitor might be OK or have uncomfortably small text.

Something else to look out for is viewing angle. Older LCD monitors only looked nice when viewed from directly in front; when viewed from an angle, the colors became less bright and distorted. Nowadays it's much better, but there is still a difference between monitors - the more expensive ones usually have the widest viewing angle.

And look at the colors - they should be bright but not garish.

All these aspects are best judged in the shop, not from technical specs.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:The contrast ratio... is the difference between the brightest white and the darkest black the monitor can display. Theoretically, higher is better, but it's doubtful whether you'd really notice the difference between 40000:1 and 80000:1 in real life. Both are high.
Thanks for the response Hans.
All joking about age aside, I suspect in my line of work/play I wouldn't notice the difference; I'm text-based, tend not to watch movies or indulge in high-end graphics.
With the same resolution, text etc. will be more than 10% larger on a 24" monitor than on a 21.5" monitor. Depending on your eyesight, a 21.5" monitor might be OK or have uncomfortably small text.
Same comment here. I've been using a 17" LCD for several years now. Anything greater than 17" is an improvement. Essentially I can't by a monitor today without it being better than what I've got (ditto scanner, printer etc.)
HansV wrote:Something else to look out for is viewing angle. Older LCD monitors only looked nice when viewed from directly in front; when viewed from an angle, the colors became less bright and distorted. Nowadays it's much better, but there is still a difference between monitors - the more expensive ones usually have the widest viewing angle.
I saw this on the write-ups, it's another feature I didn't comprehend. You made it make sense. I'll include this when I look at monitors this week.
HansV wrote:And look at the colors - they should be bright but not garish.
? garish? Again, I sound like a squib I know, but to me they all look the same.
HansV wrote:All these aspects are best judged in the shop, not from technical specs.
I agree with this. Each monitor had a slide-show of stuff. (Also important to visit the store when the lighting isn't augmented by a low mid-winter sun!)

I suspect it's going to boil down to a 1920x1080 monitor, and comparing Dollars and Diagonals.

I suspect, too, it would be different if I were buying a couple of hundred for my staff.

I liked the (other thread) comment about buying two rather than one. The lowest price there was $74, but to my surprise they had sold out! :laugh:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Chris, I can't speak to the merits of the other monitors on your list, but I bought my wife the Acer G245H 24" at Canada Computers in Ottawa for under $200 a couple of months ago. They have stores throughout Ontario with about a half dozen in the GTA. Their site shows that they still have great prices on 24" monitors. I'm really impressed with the G245H... great performance.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Check out the outlet store at a couple of the big OEMs such as Dell & HP. You can get a refurbished Dell ST2420L 24 inch monitor for $179 USD in the US. In the US, these monitors have the same warranty as a new device.

Joe
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:...Ottawa for under $200 a couple of months ago.
Thanks Paul. Staples, as you know, is not the place to buy computer gear. I was walking past and dropped in.
I'm sure there's a better price at BestBuy or FutureShop, if not TigerDirect.
I put the prices in the table to give an idea of relative cost.
And I know you knew that!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

In the UK magazine called PC PRO maintains what it calls the 'A list', i.e. it's list of review winners. As with all such lists it is best used as a starting point for an informed decision rather than an end point of choice.

The current under 22" monitor on their list is a BENQ, here: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist/up-to-22in-tft
The over 23" one is a Viewsonic, here: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/alist/23in-plus-tft

Ken

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Thanks Paul. Staples, as you know, is not the place to buy computer gear. I was walking past and dropped in.
I'm sure there's a better price at BestBuy or FutureShop, if not TigerDirect ...
Perhaps this can give some consolation (when looking at the abundance of different choices); they are pretty cheap compared to over here ...

If I assume $cdn = CAD ( :grin: ); then 1 CAD is roughly 6.95 SEK. And if I then pick one from your table, say Benq G2220HD, the cheapest one around here would be approx. 171 CAD ($cdn171), that is 30+% more for this monitor.

But I don't know about GST in Canada etc. My example includes all taxes.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.