Comparing Desktop Computer help and opinions please

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Comparing Desktop Computer help and opinions please

Post by jaystarter »

I'm looking to buy a new computer and have narrowed my search down to what seems like a reputable store within travelling distance of home so that any return if necessary shouldn't be a problem. I use my desktop for general office use Word, Excell, etc. plus a bit of desktop publishing software, digital photo editing with Paintshop Pro or similar programmes (not pro stuff like Adobe CS) burn a few music CD's and DVD from video with Nero or AShampoo but not concerned with watching Movies on a PC or playing graphics intensified games, expect to be doing a little video editing with family and holiday files from basic movie camera. The 2 computers I'm considering are Delta http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/range/delta.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Iflame Pro http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/r ... mepro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I would in install with Windows 7 home Premium. wondering if anyone would care to cast their eyes over the specs and give their opinions on them. I'm tempted by the Iflame Pro as it should be future proof but wonder if I might be doing over (or under) kill? Thanks in advance.
Jeff

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Comparing Desktop Computer help and opinions please

Post by StuartR »

My opinion, for what it is worth.

The more expensive system costs an additional £35, for that you get a couple of extra USB ports - and you can never have too many - and you also get a much cooler running CPU which I suspect may therefore have a longer life expectancy.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The iFlame Pro would seem to be slightly more powerful, but there is no mention of a graphics card. If you have to buy the graphics card separately that could add another £50-£100 to the price, so I'd enquire first.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:The iFlame Pro would seem to be slightly more powerful, but there is no mention of a graphics card. If you have to buy the graphics card separately that could add another £50-£100 to the price, so I'd enquire first.
Seems strange that no graphic capabilities are mentioned?
A QUICK google around says the the Intel "i" series MB does NOT have integrated graphics on-board. So there must be SOME type of graphics card supplied, no? How could you sell a system without the graphics card?
The other system does mention a NVidia GT 430\1 gig.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's what I found strange too. It's probably just an oversight.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Thanks for the feedback apologies for not replying sooner but but when it snows in some parts of England the power and phone lines dont work.

From what I can tell the graphics are intergrated in the motherboard (Intel H55 Chipset Motherboard) and this seems confirmed by the specs from Intel http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42409. That was a concern of mine -would it be better to forgoe the extra oomph! of the Iflame with intergrated graphics for the slightly cheaper Delta that has a seperate video card?
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since you mention that you don't play graphics-intensive games, you probably don't really need a separate graphics card. I think I'd still go for the iFlame, but the Delta is a good alternative if your budget is tight.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:Since you mention that you don't play graphics-intensive games, you probably don't really need a separate graphics card. I think I'd still go for the iFlame, but the Delta is a good alternative if your budget is tight.
Agreed.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

That's helpfull and reassuring. I think I'll go for the Iflame as it should be fairly future proof for a while and can always add a card if necessary later on. I will check with them first if this is a possibility without upgrading the power supply. Thanks for the comments again.
Jeff