Movie DVD Audio

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Movie DVD Audio

Post by hlewton »

On one of my XPP computers movie DVDs play with very low audio. I thought it may be the drive so I tried the burner on the same computer and it too had low audio. I tried another DVD and the same thing happened. Trying them on another computer proved the DVDs were fine.

I then suspected the sound card so I tried a music CD and it played perfectly as does Utube videos and Power Point presentations. The start up and close down Window wave files also play perfectly and so does any other Windows notification sounds.

I looked for a firmware update for my drives but there are none. Any suggestions on anything else to try would be appreciated.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Movie DVD Audio

Post by HansV »

One suggestion I found is to download and install AC3Filter (free from AC3Filter downloads | AC3Filter).

After installing, select Start | (All) Programs | AC3Filter | AC3Filter Config.

In the Main tab, increase both Master and Gain to the maximum (+20 dB), then click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you I will give that a try.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OMG Hans I don't know how you do it but that worked perfectly. Even those who build my computers had no suggestions that worked. Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad to hear that! (I merely googled that suggestion :blush:)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yes but you apparently knew what search phrase to google. I had tried finding something that way myself but either I didn't know what to search for or didn't understand what I found. That is what is so great about a place like this. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I just thought I'd add my comment to this thread. When Hans suggested the above filter software I also downloaded and installed it. But I've not had an occasion to test it - laziness on my part!

I recently bought a DVD package of an old HBO program called "Band Of Brothers" in memory of the recent death of the company commander of "Easy Company" portrayed in the book and the movie. ( Richard 'Dick' Winters dies at 92 ).

In my case the AC3 Filter evidently changed my default DVD player from WMP to Media Center's player. I use WMP in XP for playing DVDs on the computer and have NEVER used the Media Center player. And now, having had a taste of it, I don't like it either! As I'm sure you know, it's easy to fix in the properties of the DVD drive, so I changed it back to WMP and, as suggested by Hans, the AC3Filter works just fine. In all this time I've always had to crank up the volume when playing a DVD but it now sounds great.

Just my :2cents: worth...

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Al,
There was a comprehensive and quite moving obituary on him in the UK Times newspaper the other day - quite a guy!
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I also installed AC3 Filter and a few of my saved YouTubes and songs which were "soft" now play very nicely. Thanks for the question Hlewton :-)
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I know this is a rather old thread by now, but I could use a suggestion or two on my XP MCE audio and I don't know if this AC3Filter has the answer. If so, I absolutely can't figure out how to use it.

In this thread ( FastStone Capture ) I mention making screen recordings. However, I can't figure out how to get the accompanying AUDIO to be useful. There IS audio when I make the screen recording but I have to crank up the volume on my computer all the way to the top to be able to hear anything.

For normal use, I keep the volume down low which produces "Windows sounds" such as beeps, email, virus updates, etc. quite audible and any louder would be annoying. See graphic.
2011-05-21_123601.png
But, I have the mic volume cranked all the way to the top and with the above setting, geared for Windows sounds, the screen recorded volume is way too low.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try, either with AC3Filter or my sound drivers? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Al I wish I could help you but all I did was install it and it solved my problem. Hopefully this will serve as a bump so maybe someone else will see it and help you.
Regards,
hlewton