Pressing FN with Function keys

jmt356
SilverLounger

Pressing FN with Function keys

Post by jmt356 »

On my old laptop, I didn't have to press fn when using function keys. On this one, I do. It makes it particularly difficult to access some of the functions. For example, when I want to close a program, I need both hands to press fn + alt + f4. It would make it somewhat easier if the left alt button worked with this, but it doesn't. I can use alt + F + exit for some programs, but not all. Particularly, there is this annoying calculator button right next to the ctrl key that causes a caculator to accidentally pop up about 20 times a day. I'd love to deactivate that key but in the abscence of that solution I need to get alt + fn + f4 down.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Re: Pressing FN with Function keys

Post by jmt356 »

I just realized that ctrl + spacebar + C closes the program, but I'd still like to override the need to press fn each time.
Regards,

JMT

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

sounds to me like the FN key is a toggle key, like on some of my laptops.

What is the make / model of your laptop ?
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

On the laptops I've used, Fn is/was a toggle too. Press once to activate, press again to deactivate. There's often an indicator light that shows when Fn is "on".
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It's not a toggle key. If I press fn, then when I press f9 to update a TOC in Word, the TOC only updates teh first time. Thereafter, f9 turns up the volume. I have to press fn each time I want to use the function key as opposed to the other function assigned to those keys (volume, brights, and other functions I hardly ever use).

It's an HP G62.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You have to go into the BIOS setup to change this behavior. See Disable The Fn + Function Key Combination on Certain Models.
Best wishes,
Hans