Netflix, BluRay, Wifi and Gaming Consoles Questions

BobH
UraniumLounger

Netflix, BluRay, Wifi and Gaming Consoles Questions

Post by BobH »

I'm placing this post in the Lounge because my questions are about using this equipment for entertainment.

I think Her Ladyship would enjoy Netflix with its downloading feature. As I understand it from a little googling, one can buy blu-ray disk players that support streaming from Netflix and that the devices will fit into a wireless network allowing the content to be viewed on laptops and even on TV's that have wireless receivers. I guess, of course, that one could also wire them to one of the open ports on a wireless router. Now, I've told you everything that I 'know' about the technology.

In shopping around, I looked at various Samsung models (because that's the brand of our TVs). It seems that the top of the line does 3D if one has a 3D-capable TV and the other accoutrement. We don't. We have HD and a lot of regular DVDs. Does anyone know if the 3D BDs are backwards compatible with regular BD and DVD? The only reason I ask is that I "might" be convinced to buy the 3D version just in case we might have to buy new TV (though that is unlikely, I'm just inquisitive, I guess).

The next step down the Samsung line is a BD player that has "built-in Wifi." This makes a distinction from the next step down the model line which says "Wifi ready-adapter not included." Nowhere can I find a spec that tells me what this distinction means as a practical matter. For example, if I subscribe to Netflix and get the feed from my broadband ISP service, does the signal coming from the cable modem, passed to the wifi router (802.11n) get transmitted to the BD player? If so, how does the signal for Netflix get to the laptop or wifi-ready TV? I guess my point of confusion is that I expect the router to be the transmission point and can't understand how the signal gets from the BD player to the router, wirelessly. Can anyone explain this to me?

I've read that BD players are backwards compatible with DVD players and that they might even improve the visual images. I wonder if this is true with all the +/- R/RW and other format issues that are possible. What features should one be careful to ensure the unit has to be best equipped to handle the various situations? Is it possible to buy a unit that will handle all equally?

I've also read that most BD players that can take Netflix feeds have limited memory capacity. I think 1G was mentioned. I also read that one should be careful to purchase a unit that has a USB2 port so that one can increase the capacity using flash drives. Any pointers on this issues would be appreciated.

Next, I've also seen PS3 and Wii mentioned as devices that can read BDs and can be used for streaming Netflix. Could someone please tell be about this? If they are viable alternatives to a BD player, can someone point me to a wiki to educate me about this? How much more expensive are the gaming consoles that do BD and Netflix streaming than just the BD player?

Finally, I'm a complete neophyte with this technology (despite having a wifi router used solely to share the ISP connection). Any advice, pointers, gotchas, etc. would be appreciated. There are probably different signalling standard for the US than for the UK and Europe (I don't know). That would matter only if I purchase online, I suppose; but it would be prudent to know if this is an issue, too.

Thank you for reading this far. Hans, if I chose the wrong forum, please forgive me and move it appropriately.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Netflix, BluRay, Wifi and Gaming Consoles Questions

Post by HansV »

I have moved this thread from the Lounge Matters forum because it is not about the functioning of Eileen's Lounge.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sorry, Hans!

I meant to post it in the Scuttlebutt forum.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

BD players are supposed to be compatible with all DVD formats. HOWEVER, I'd verify that for whichever model you settle on. Vendors can and do change capabilities rather frequently. I don't know if all BD players will upconvert DVDs to a higher resolution. That is something else to check on.

Something to consider - with a PS3 you get a BD player included. If you are thinking about a gaming system in addition to a BD player the PS3 might be what you need. The difference in price depends on the BD player as a 250GB PS3 lists for $399 USD but can be found for less depending on the retailer or 'club'. See play station 3 - Bing Shopping for links to check.

If you have a BD player or game console you need to physically connect it to the TV. Almost no one supplies an HDMI cable, which is what you need for the best picture. You'll have to purchase one. Be prepared for a bit of sticker shock as these are nothing like the stanard RCA cables you are probably used to. You can find some good deals on HDMI cables at a 'club' such as Sam's or Costco.

The BD player or game console connects to your router just like any other device/PC. Somewhere in the device setup there will be a screen to connect to a wireless network. You just need to make sure it is your network and supply the correct key. You may be able to access your Netflix account from the PC & other device. I'm not sure if Netflix differentiates between a BD player or game console and a PC connecting to it. You would not access a movie streaming to the BD/console from your PC as the BD/console would be connected to the TV. You would stream the movie directly to the PC.

See Playstation for the Sony information about the PS3 capabilities.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Joe!

I've persisted at this and think I have the lot sorted out in my head - at least for today!

Although I know it is bad form to reply to one's own questions, I thought I'd share what I learned today and maybe save others the frustration I was experiencing. I called the Netflix hotline (their website is rubbish for information) and talked to a very nice young man who answered all my questions very patiently. I think I was most confused by the gaming console capabilities. It sorts down with Sony PS3 being the top of the line (and the most expensive, naturally) with the capability to game, video stream, and is wifi enabled with BD playback capability. The Microsoft XBOX is the middle of the line but does not work standalone (sans PC) and I'm uncertain as to whether or not it has a BD player (apparently it came out without one and the google hits were indeterminate as to whether it has one as were several product reviews). The Wii is the low end product (and least expensive) in that it does not have BD and doesn't wifi (as I understand it). The net of all this information is that a PS3 provides all that I was seeking (video streaming, wifi, BD player) but at a premium of spending almost twice as much as one would for a BD player that streams and wifis.

As for the connectivity, I was told that whatever device I get will plug into the router. I understood that to mean that I would feed my ISP cable into the new device from the cable modem and that the new device would then plug into the router. Video streaming via a BD player or game console or special device (e.g., Roku) is primarily for attaching to a TV that doesn't have native video streaming capability.

I also learned that one can get Netflix streaming on one's computer (desktop or laptop) if one has an Internet connection and subscribes to the service. No BD player or gaming console or other device is required to get instant streaming. That was a question that I could not answer from the many google searches I had done.

Anyway, thank you again for the information.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

A couple of points.

Xbox does NOT require a PC to operate or connect to the Internet. I'm pretty sure that one of the recent updates allows you to stream Netflix movies. It requires a PC if you want to stream media that you already have. An Xbox does not have a BD player and you can't attach one.

If you already have a router all you need to do with the new device is connect it to the router either wired or wireless. If you don't have already have a router then you do connect the ISP cable to the router and then the devices to the router. Most routers have pretty good setup instructions.

Thanks for posting your feedback. All information on streaming media is good.

Joe
Joe

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Just to add some clarification, Bob: The Wii does not, as you say, have a BD player but it does have Wi-Fi to connect wirelessly to the Internet, or it can be hard-wired (with an adapter) to your router. See here. You can also use the Wii to stream Netflix.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the clarifications, Joe and Paul.

I'm locking in on a decision and will likely pull the string soon. My original understanding was that I would need some kind of device in order to get Netflix streaming signal to the HDTV (it's several years old and lacks the ability to connect directly). That led to the investigation of alternatives. It didn't make much sense to me to spend for just the Roku type device and still have only regular DVD. That led to reading on BD. I was surprised to learn that there is so much 3D BD stuff out there but soon eliminated that feature because the TV cannot handle it. That left me with devices that would do streaming and BD. That took me to reading about the gaming devices. My thought was that for a little more I could get something that would entertain younger visitors. (I got my fill of gaming when I got tendonitis from playing Space Invaders all night on my brand new Atari.) After learning that XBOX and Wii didn't have BD, only PS3 was left standing. Then when I compared the cost of a PS3 with 2 gaming remotes to a BD, streaming, wifi enabled player my decision was pretty well done. While I'm still shopping, I really like the Samsung BD-C6500. It has USB ports (I think) so the memory capacity for streaming can be increased. We have several Samsung TVs which have performed well and should be compatible. I might have to rig wireless adapters on some of the TVs.

So, that parses my considerations and the logic which led me to the final shopping list. If anyone would like to persuade me that my logic is faulty, that I've overlooked something, or that I should consider a different BD player, I'm eager to learn. The minimum requirements are video streaming + BD player + wifi enabled. Anything else would be a bonus or a different issue for me to consider.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Happy hunting! Let us know what you finally decide to get.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You should not need a wireless adapter for the TV. Unless the BD player specifically states that it streams wirelessly to a TV, the BD player will use an HDMI cable to connect to the TV. If you don't use HDMI you won't get 1080p. The wireless streaming will be from the internet/your router to the BD player.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, again, everyone, for the assistance!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)