CD/DVD R/-RW/+RW and all that stuff.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

CD/DVD R/-RW/+RW and all that stuff.

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This is a plug for the Store manager at the Staples store at 427/Queensway in Toronto.
He took the time to resolve a mystery, and I pass on a filtered version to you.

For years (well, since I bought this laptop and a short time later the Magnavox VCR/DVD recorder) I have been mystified by the range of media available in stores.
I think: There's CDs and there's DVDs. Two choices.
I think: There's write-once (a.k.a. "R") and there's write-often (a.k.a. RW). Two choices.
I think: There's -RW and there's +RW. Two choices.
I expect, perhaps, 8 different types of package, but I forget that there's 5-pack, 10-pack, 25-pack, so perhaps 24 types, but there seem to be a thousand.

Once again, last week, I bought the "wrong" media.
Took it home, plopped it in the DVD recorder: "Loading", pause "Formatting"; pause, then "RED Error"

So back at Staples I collected a DVD-RW pack and a DVD+RW pack from the shelves and asked the nearest rep (and much later it turned out he was the store manager) "What's the difference? They are the same size, same price to the penny!"

The nice man explained that equipment (computers, DVD recorders etc.) suffered from a trial similar to the VHS/BETA debacle, and some devices are happy with either DVD recording format media (I'm getting confused again), but some are happy only with one kind, so they make TWO types of RW DVD disks - hence the -RW and the +RW.

There's no real way for a novice to know which works, except by trying and then remembering (as I must) that "My Magnavox DVD recorder insists on the +RW flavour.

I hope this helps.
I really do.
HPIM3393 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 10 Nov 2010, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

aekyall
4StarLounger

Re: CD/DVD R/-RW/+RW and all that stuff.

Post by aekyall »

Thanks for that Chris! Have to own up to being one of those totally confused by the + and - indicators. Now I begin to understand (I think!)
Cheers
Regards,
Keith

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

aekyall wrote:Now I begin to understand (I think!)
I'm still missing part of the puzzle.
After posting (above) I loaded one of the new DVD+RW in the recorder - Load, Format, ERROR!
These are STAPLES brand and now I remember (six months ago) the Staples's 1-800 lady telling me to return a set.
I checked the ones I've been using recently - MAXWELL - so not only do I need to get DVD+RW, but they need to be "MAXWELL DVD+RW", or at least, "Not STAPLES DVD+RW".

gRRRRRRRRR!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

stuck wrote:Some reading...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_recordable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_formats
...that may (or may not :grin:) help

Ken
Ken,
Both articles seem to say more or less what you said in your posting - only in far too much detail and, thus, far too brain taxing (at least to me!!!!) Think I got enough basic info from your original posting to satisfy my needs thanks! :grin: In my case, A little knowledge is best :flee:
Regards,
Keith

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

aekyall wrote:what you said in your posting
:whisper: It wasn't me, it was Chris. My only contribution to this thread has been the links to Wikipedia

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:Some reading...
Thanks, Ken for the references.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_recordable

"Like CD-Rs, DVD recordables use dyes."
I read this and thought "Darned American spelling ..." but then read on and found they really DO mean dyes, not dies. Although dies are used in the DVD-ROM process.
I'm glad we got that cleared up.

"DVD "minus ... Has broader playback compatibility than the "+" especially with much older players.".
I've not found this to be true with my Magnavox MWR 20V6 player/recorder. (But see my second post in this thread)

"Michael Spath ... DVD+R/RW format is superior ..."
But it doesn't say whether it is superior from the user's record/playback view or from a manufacturer's view and if so whether from the media or the player.

"Multi-format drives can read and write more than one format; e.g., DVD±RW "
If I ever buy another DVD player/recorder I might drop extra cash if I thought it could handle both the minus and plus formats.

However my experience is sad. Staples DVDs don't work; Maxwell DVDs do work.
It seems that there is a variance in standard between manufacturers, and my DVD player/recorder is sensitive enough to sulk at the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_formats

"DVD-D: Self-destructing disposable DVD format "
Now this is just what I need! Hah hah! I guess it is good for software distribution where you want the purchaser to install software once or twice and you want to reduce the incidence of sharing the software.
It would also be good for time-limited software, such as Office 2010 Beta etc.

"DVD Plus: combines both DVD and CD technologies..."
More good news. "DVD plus" is different from "DVD +".
Where can I find the folks who devised these naming conventions and purr hot pea soup down the front of their shirts?
Or pants!

"Modern drives ... allow writing to both DVD-R[W] and DVD+R[W] discs making the difference largely irrelevant to the average consumer."

Not in my experience. I can't find a date on my machine, but I bought it about 3 years ago.
The manual says 'Funai" which is relevant to this thread.

"DVD+RW isn't approved by the DVD Forum"
And finally this too makes me want to lock them in a room without food or water or toilets until they hammer out an agreement.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

aekyall wrote:Both articles seem to say more or less what you said in your posting -
Outed!
Ken and Chris are the same guy!

No harm done.
I know what you mean by "A little knowledge is best" but in my case, lack of understand here has resulted in me making five purchases (of spindles of DVDs) over the past year and having to trudge back to the store to return them.
That means a trip by public transit to wherever in this huge city I happened to be when I bought the spindle, not to mention the frustration of being "caught short" and unable to record an anticipated program.

If at the time I'd bought the recorder I'd been told "Find a brand that works and stick to it", I could have done that.

Best Wishes.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

ChrisGreaves wrote: There's no real way for a novice to know which works, except by trying and then remembering (as I must) that "My Magnavox DVD recorder insists on the +RW flavour.
I guess that is why they make manuals (assuming Magnavox has a chapter on media format and suggested brands)!!! :flee:

Seriously I would stay away from store brands... there is a reason why they are cheaper.

I have always used Maxell CDs and DVDs on many different devices... without having a serious problem. Sure once in a while I'll get a "coaster" but that can be explained by burning at a faster speed or interference with other processes. I usually buy spindles of 100 from Future Shop when they have them on sale. Also try and match the speed rating of the media with recording device capability.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Regards,
Bob

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobArch2 wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:I guess that is why they make manuals (assuming Magnavox has a chapter on media format and suggested brands)!!! ... Anyway, just my two cents.
Fifty Dollars value, more like it.
:rtfm: Now there's a concept!
So I went and dug out the dog-eared manual which I've studied over the years.

Y'all'l never guess what appears on the front cover.
Copy of Scan10002.JPG

Who Knew ? !!!! :blush:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Ken and Chris are the same guy!
err, NO!

:flee:

Ken