Printer Driver Downloads

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Printer Driver Downloads

Post by hlewton »

Does anyone know of a trusted WEB site to download printer drivers? I can find the substitute driver I need for my printer at the manufacturer's site but it says that the driver is already part of Windows 7 which does me no good since the printer is a network printer and will not be connected directly to the Windows 7 computer. I need to have the driver loaded into a folder on the Windows 7 machine so I can direct the "Add Printer" wizard to it.

Thanks,

hlewton
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Printer Driver Downloads

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

Even if it is a network printer, you can probably use the driver that comes with Windows 7 (it has drivers for many current printer models).
But if you prefer to download a driver, take a look at one of the following - they are safe:

Download PRINTER drivers - Softpedia
Printer Drivers - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans. If you have the time can you please tell me how I could use the driver that is included in Windows 7. I have tried many times to find out where the drivers are located and can't. Even if I could I'm not sure I would be able to recognize which driver I needed since the "add printer" wizard does not get far enough to shoe me the drivers. It asks me where they are located. I would love to know how to use those includes in the OS.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BTW I did find CNET last night but wasn't certain if it was a good site or not. I'm glad you confirmed that for me.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't have a home network, so I've never had to install a network printer at home, and at work it's all taken care of by the network admins...

There are others who know much more about this kind of thing than I do; I hope that one of them will jump in with a helpful answer.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans and by the way, I may be slow but I finally searched for you and was told you were here. I have missed your help recently and glad I found this place.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it here - if you hang around you'll see many familiar names.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OH I'm gonna hang around. I just wish I had more to add like I used to when I worked and kind of kept up on things better. Now all it seems like is I have the questions but no answers. LOL
Regards,
hlewton

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:Now all it seems like is I have the questions but no answers.
Hi hlewton.
IMHO questions are good. Questions are what have driven most great discoveries these past few thousands of years.
Of course, if you really feel guilty about the questions, you could use the search feature.
And then teach me (grin!)
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
hlewton wrote:Now all it seems like is I have the questions but no answers.
Hi hlewton.
IMHO questions are good. Questions are what have driven most great discoveries these past few thousands of years.
Of course, if you really feel guilty about the questions, you could use the search feature.
And then teach me (grin!)
To be perfectly honest I post as a last resort anymore because I have found a lot of what I would normally have posted about is already available with a google search. Still, like this subject, google and dogpile often don't have the answers so I come to the experts and am very glad they are here.

I would very much like to know how to make use of the drivers built into Windows 7 when the printer is not connected to the Windows 7 computer because a solution to that has eluded every search I have done. So I guess I'm saying I don't think I could teach you about searches. LOL Wish I could.

Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
hlewton

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Maybe one of these links will help:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Wind ... me-network" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 6afeee7c7e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... c04d5e3167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apologies in advance if you've already found them.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I wil check them out. I have found so many sites I really can't remember which ones I have found in the past.
Regards,
hlewton