Access Desktop Tower from Laptop?

sobershea
2StarLounger

Access Desktop Tower from Laptop?

Post by sobershea »

Hi All,
When I booted my desktop this morning the monitor went bonkers and then wouldn't work but the computer was running. Since I am in the throes of moving I couldn't address it right away and when I just checked it, the system is down and won't boot. I tried plugging it in another plug but it just won't respond. The HD is relatively new as I had it replaced under warranty last year. My question is, is it possible to "plug" the tower somehow into my laptop so I can access the files on it? I'm grasping at straws here, so any suggestions anyone might have about how I can just get to my files would be greatly appreciated. I can deal with whether to buy a new computer or monitor or whatever when I have time to think about it. Some of the files I need access to are related to the sale of the house so I need them. Any ideas?

TIA
Sherry

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Access Desktop Tower from Laptop?

Post by StuartR »

The best way to access the files is to take the hard drive out of the desktop and put it into an external enclosure, you can then plug it into a USB socket on your laptop and get to all the files.

If you aren't experienced at opening computer cases then it would probably be best to get someone to do this for you.
StuartR

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

That's exactly what I did. First I looked at my 3-year warranty through Best Buy and discovered that it is good until November 23rd. So I took the tower in and explained my dilemma (needing the files for the sale of the house). They pulled the drive out and I bought a hard drive docking station and I am good to go. Phew! Their initial look at the PC had them thinking it is the power supply, however they will wait for me to return the hard drive and will run full diagnostics on it. They were extremely helpful and this is the 2nd time this PC has been in under warranty. I have heard people knock the Geek Squad, but for my two cents, they have been very helpful and knowledgeable. If I bought another PC from BB I would probably buy the service contract. It has more than paid for itself. Anyhow, all is well.

Thanks Stewart.
Sherry

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for the update.
It's always a pleasure to hear about a company that gives good service.
StuartR