Modem - no dial tone

jmt356
SilverLounger

Modem - no dial tone

Post by jmt356 »

When I call the dial up phone number from my teleophone, it makes the sounds that one expects (that fax-like screechy sound). When I connect my phone line to my laptop, however, there is no sound of the dialing of keys and there is no connection sound (that fax-like screechy sound). I then get the message that I was unable to connect.

What is the problem?

I have an HP Pavilion DV2500 with a Standard Modem and with an HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP. Under my internet connections, I set up the Standard Modem for the connection, and it didn't work.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Modem - no dial tone

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:When I call the dial up phone number from my teleophone, it makes the sounds that one expects (that fax-like screechy sound). When I connect my phone line to my laptop, however, there is no sound of the dialing of keys and there is no connection sound (that fax-like screechy sound). I then get the message that I was unable to connect.

What is the problem?

I have an HP Pavilion DV2500 with a Standard Modem and with an HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP. Under my internet connections, I set up the Standard Modem for the connection, and it didn't work.
Boy, I have to really reach back in memory for dial up modems. I DO remember that there was a setting to have "silent" connections, without the typical "handshake" of connect tones being audible. However, if you also get an unable to connect message, I would think it best to contact your ISP and go over the proper set up for your particular modem and ISP.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

StoneChucker
StarLounger

Post by StoneChucker »

Is the phone line you're using able to communicate with another laptop with a modem? I ask, only because I wonder if the line is digital, rather than analog.

Christopher

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Is this a first time use or did the problem suddenly appear after having worked for some time?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I don't know if it works with another laptop; I only have one. . I think it's analogue; this is Syria, it is not so advanced with dital technology.

This is the first time I ever used dial up on my laptop. I am accomstomed to WIFI.
Regards,

JMT

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jmt356 wrote:When I call the dial up phone number from my teleophone, it makes the sounds that one expects (that fax-like screechy sound). When I connect my phone line to my laptop, however, there is no sound of the dialing of keys and there is no connection sound (that fax-like screechy sound). I then get the message that I was unable to connect.

What is the problem?

1] What operating system are you using?

2] The subject title says 'no dial tone', but you then say you get a message that you were unable to connect. Does the message specifically state that you can't get a dial tone?

3] I assume the 'Standard Modem' and 'HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem' are two physically separate devices, and not virtual devices as seen by the operating system - yes? Is either built in?

4] The lack of sound doesn't itself mean anything as the modem can easily be set to no sound, sound until connected, or full-time sound. It may have been set to no sound - modem connection sounds can get pretty irritating!

5] Have you ever used either modem successfully in the past, in Syria or elsewhere?

There are various things we can try once I get some answers to the above - I use modems on a regular basis, albeit industrial GSM types talking to each other at a lowly 9,600 baud! If you are genuinely not getting a dial tone, there could be various reasons; the connection is attempting to use the modem that physically isn't connected to the phone line; there is a problem with the cable and/or connector; the modem cable to the phone line is the wrong kind, etc.
Leif

June Bug
Lounger

Post by June Bug »

I haven't seen any mention of your dial up ISP. (Except viking33 "I would think it best to contact your ISP") Best I remember you need a dial up ISP such as EarthLink, NetZero, or Juno to connect via phone line. Dial up doesn't work like the "always on" connection for high speed.

JB
:music:

JB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

June Bug wrote:I haven't seen any mention of your dial up ISP. (Except viking33 "I would think it best to contact your ISP") Best I remember you need a dial up ISP such as EarthLink, NetZero, or Juno to connect via phone line. Dial up doesn't work like the "always on" connection for high speed.

JB
We can only make the suggestion. It's up to the OP to follow up on it. :scratch: :burga:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.