Laptop sudden power loss

PrestonK
Lounger

Laptop sudden power loss

Post by PrestonK »

Hello loungers,

I have a HP Pavillion model dv6000 about 4 yrs old that shuts itself off immediately when started. I have replaced the battery and use it with the AC adapter plugged in. I have removed and replaced the RAM modules -- which seem to be a very short-lived fix -- it shut itself off after a few minutes of use. What else can I try?

Preston

HansV
Administrator

Re: Laptop sudden power loss

Post by HansV »

Perhaps the fan is defect? That would cause overheating, and that in its turn would cause the laptop to turn itself off.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I was just about to suggest overheating or component failure. Do you hear any fan running? Or is there any smell of anything getting hot?
Leif

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

This particular model has a history of motherboard problems. It usually start with sudden shutdowns and then powering on eventually becomes a pain. It will start but you need to really press the power on switch longer and eventually would not switch on at all. If it becomes what I described then motherboard is the probable culprit. HP will replace the MB but it cost a little less than buying a new one.

PrestonK
Lounger

Post by PrestonK »

Looks like I'm in for a trip to the tech shop!

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

PrestonK wrote:Hello loungers,

I have a HP Pavillion model dv6000 about 4 yrs old that shuts itself off immediately when started. I have replaced the battery and use it with the AC adapter plugged in. I have removed and replaced the RAM modules -- which seem to be a very short-lived fix -- it shut itself off after a few minutes of use. What else can I try?

Preston
I have the dv9000 and overheating is certainly a problem for me. The fan is rubbish, nowhere near enough ventilation. I would not know where to start with replacing it, but I fear I should sooner rather than later, before I lose the lot. :sad:
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

I got my wife's laptop a cradle with usb powered two fan ventillation. It's helping to dessipate heat at the bottom of the laptop and keeps the air flow underneath plus the laptop keyboard is now on a slight angle perfect for keyboarding with additional elevated tilt for the screen just like a desktop monitor.