HDD recommendations

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

HDD recommendations

Post by stuck »

My current internal 3.5" 1TB drive is filling up at a more noticeable pace now that I have a new camera that generates much bigger files. Anybody care to suggest the 'best', internal, HDD available at the moment as a replacement?

Once upon a time 2TB would have sounded like more space than anybody could ever need but I suspect 4TB is a bit more future proof. Old tech. spinning platter will be fine as the primary role of this drive is 'local' data storage.

My current external drive is a 2TB device from Seagate. I'm not sure how long I've had it but several years and it has been flawless. Based on that experience I'd happily buy an internal drive made by Seagate. Can remember right now what brand the current internal drive is, think it might be a Hitachi. That too has worked fine for many years so that's another brand I'd be OK with.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: HDD recommendations

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I've never been too particular as to HDD selection. Have used Seagate, western Digital, Hitachi, HP and others. Just searched around for the least expensive biggest one available. So far, so good overall
I think Seagate had a bit of a bad rep but that was many years ago and they have been corrected and are back on the "good guys list..
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

My 'humble' view is that it's a bit of a lottery whether any particular chosen hard drive will last as long as you expect it to. There are only a few 'real' manufacturers of hard drives left, and any one of these can produce a bad batch on rare occasion.

Personally, I choose the second least expensive drive of the required capacity available on Amazon at the time of intended purchase! It usually turns out to be a Toshiba.
(Unless it's for a server, when I choose WD Red...)

PS Not sure why you keep photos on an internal hard drive...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

John Gray wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 07:31
...Not sure why you keep photos on an internal hard drive...
Err... so that I have 'instant' access to them and can fiddle with them in my photo editing software, where else would I hold my photos?

Or am I missing your point? The internal drive is not the sole copy of my data. Everything is backed up regularly to an external drive.

Ken