external hard drive tragic beeping

garbsmj
4StarLounger

external hard drive tragic beeping

Post by garbsmj »

Garbette got a 1T USB external hard drive whilst at college. She's got everything backed up on it including her games, pictures and school papers. It started cheeping the other day so we thought it was the power cord so we ordered a new one. No luck today when power cord comes in and hard drive is cheeping. Garbette didn't even want to plug it into her notebook.

She's got a two year warranty on it but fears they'll just send her another one and wipe the first one clean. Hey, I know all kinds of stuff but these things? Oy! Any suggestions? :scratch:
When one cat leaves, another mysteriously shows up.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: external hard drive tragic beeping

Post by John Gray »

I'd suggest you try and get all the data off it as soon as possible - if you can.

I always say to people that you should back Stuff up to (at least) two different forms of media...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

John,

I'd love to do that but try approaching a teenager without a safety net is hardly something I want to attempt today. If I say, "hon, don't you have that online backup program?" she'll throw a fit. I have a different backup program plus my little external hard drive. If I carp up a game, so be it.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

garbsmj wrote:John,

I'd love to do that but try approaching a teenager without a safety net is hardly something I want to attempt today. If I say, "hon, don't you have that online backup program?" she'll throw a fit. I have a different backup program plus my little external hard drive. If I carp up a game, so be it.
Have you tried to plug it into your machine?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

Yes, here's an update.

1. Garbette will not plug it in because the laptop will not recognize the hard drive. We tried this before we got another power cord.

2. Garbette stopped her online backup because, yes, she overtrusted her external hd.

I vaguely remember something about putting a hard drive in the freezer but I don't know why. Anyway, would this work?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

garbsmj wrote:Yes, here's an update.

1. Garbette will not plug it in because the laptop will not recognize the hard drive. We tried this before we got another power cord.

2. Garbette stopped her online backup because, yes, she overtrusted her external hd.
Yes but have you tried plugging into YOUR machine?
I'm not sure if I understood you there.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

garbsmj wrote:I vaguely remember something about putting a hard drive in the freezer but I don't know why. Anyway, would this work?
I have instances, about 6 times a year, where a x00GB IDE drive will go "click" (or if you prefer "ping") and just stop. "Freeze up" isn't really appropriate because it is really "running hot".
I power off the machine.
Disconnect the IDE
Place it on the window ledge in a breeze (if I'm lazy) or pop it in the fridge (not the freezer) if I'm thirsty.
After half an hour I plug in, power on, and light up with a grin.

I have also employed the whack-into-the-palm-of-the-hand trick, but that generally huts me more than I care for.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

What brand? What model? Have you looked for support on the maker's website? I've never experienced a drive beeping. That sounds like some kind of SMART technology indicating a failing component (or maybe a failed one but reported on one that's dead seems inane). It might be that there is some fix for it if the beep indicates something on the way South.

As for the laptop not recognizing the HDD, that sounds like a problem with the laptop. It it's a Windows system, the plug and play should recognize virtually any TB HDD extant. Does it beep constantly even when not connected to any system? Does it have it's own power supply?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

garbsmj
4StarLounger

Post by garbsmj »

It's a LaCie 500Gb, no model # on box. Garbette already contacted their support and she's on warranty. She's under the impression that they will simply replace the hard drive and will probably want hers back. I don't know if they would transfer the data or not. Neither of our machines recognize the hard drive; I have a little LaCie that I've had no problems with, so it's not a question of missing drivers or something for me.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hmmmm. Sounds like the drive is not signalling the OS therefore no other machine is recognizing it.

Looks like Garbette is gonna learn a hard lesson. My daughter is 27 now and still occasionally complains about life being unfair (but not to me, any more).

I hope LaCie comes through for her. They are unlikely to do anything to recover data for her. Wouldn't hurt to ask but plan to be disappointed.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

wasbit
2StarLounger

Post by wasbit »

I'm guessing that the hard drive is in a case rather than bare.

FYI - generally 2.5" hard drives work off USB power only but 3.5" drives require a separate power supply.

It is fairly common for the small PCB inside the case to go faulty. If you are unlucky it may have caused data corruption. The only way to find out is to remove the hard drive from the case & connect it to a pc either internally, or via an IDE/SATA to USB adaptor, or with a new case. This action may invalidate your warranty if you damage the case (sone are a devil to open).

I presume you know that if the data has been corrupted nothing should be written to that drive & you will need another storage area for any recovered files.

Hope all goes well for you

Regards wasbit
Regards
wasbit