Suggestions/Advice please TV Programming

weese237
2StarLounger

Suggestions/Advice please TV Programming

Post by weese237 »

Hi,
Don't know if this question is in the right place but thought I'd try.

What do people do in this day and age to record a television program? Everything is now with a DVR and a subscription to the cable company. I like recording a program and watching it later but I don't want to spend more money with a subscription.

I currently use the Panasonic_ DMR-EZ47V DVD-VHS Player Recorder. I've had it for years. Used to be able to record one channel while watching another. Can't do that anymore. The problem now is when I record a program, it's slightly fuzzy. Clears right up when I shut it off. Used to be a much better picture (almost HD :laugh: ) when I turned it on and watched thru the Panasonic. Now, the opposite. We did move and I got a new TV. Went from Samsung to Visio. Looked at the wiring, but everything is new. Could the Visio be causing the problem? Don't know.

What new unit should I look at to replace the Panasonic?

Thank you!
Louise     :smile:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Suggestions/Advice please TV Programming

Post by BobH »

You didn't mention who your cable service provider is. Some of them now allow you to record episodes or even whole series of shows and play them back later.

We no longer subscribe to a cable TV provider. Our AT&T plan for cell phones (we don't have a land line any longer) includes DirecTV Now which gives us a number of different cable TV plans plus several subscription video plans (Netflix, Hulu) and local stations for the 3 major networks plus FOX and the others. DirecTV Now allows you to record all or any episodes in a series if you are using a certified streaming device like Amazon FireTV (but it does not include generation 1 FireTV devices). We purchased the FireTV devices for less than $50 each.

I mention this because you might want to check with your cable providers and find out what they offer for time-shifting programs.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi,
We have Comcast. We are happy with them so far. My issue is really just the "fuzzy" picture when watching either a recording or just watching thru the VCR. The unit still works great otherwise.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

weese237 wrote:...when I record a program, it's slightly fuzzy. Clears right up when I shut it off...
I can think of two things:

1) The VHS cassette you are re-using is so old you've worn it out. If that's the problem then recording on to a brand new tape wil cure it. You could check this idea by recording something on to a brand new tape and/or playing back a commercially pre-recorded tape, e.g. a film, that you'd expect to play correctly because you've only ever watched it a handful of times. If the old tape plays back OK, that suggests your current one is worn out and the fix is cheap, buy new tape.

2) The record/playback head in the machine is worn out. If that's the problem then there is no cure except to get a replacement machine. You could check this idea by playing back an old tape that you'd expect to be fine. If the picture is bad no matter what tape you playback then that suggests it's the head in the machine that's had it and the fix is to buy a new recorder. I can't adivse on a replacement as I know nothing about the US market.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Umm, just thought of a third idea...

If you connect your VHS to you TV with a simple coaxial aerial cable then the problem might be that your VHS machine is transmitting its signal on a frequency that your (new) TV is already using for a TV channel. In which case retuning the VHS output to a different TV channel (consult the manual for your VHS machine) might clear up the picture.

However, if the connection is via a SCART cable I don't think retunning your VHS machine will help. However, it's a very long time since I fiddled around with a VHS machine so I might be talking complete nonsense here.

Ken

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hello,
Thanks for your suggestions. I am no longer using the VHS portion of the recorder. I record to DVD only now. Are there “heads” on the DVD side also? Will try watching a store bought movie to see if there’s a difference.

Thanks!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

weese237 wrote:...Are there “heads” on the DVD side also?...
No, it's a laser that reads the DVD so there's no physical contact between the physical media and machine so there's nothing to physically wear out like in a tape machine where years of dragging magnetised tape across the surface of the head eventually wears out the head.

What then about the idea I floated in my follow up message? What sort of cable do you use to connect the recorder to your TV? If the output of the recorder is connected to the (coax) aerial socket on your TV then that means the recorder will be 'broadcasting' the signal on a TV channel, which you then watch on the TV by selecting that channel. However, if the output channel of the recorder is already in use by a TV station in your area then you'll get interfereance and the picture will be rubbish. Refer to the manual for your recorder about how to retune the output of the recorder to an unused TV channel.

Alternatively read the manual to find out what other cables you can use to connect the recorder to the TV. Not using a simple coaxial aerial cable between the recorder and the TV might be all that's required.

Ken

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hi, yes I currently use a coaxial cable. You gave me things to try, thank you!
Seem strange that using the very same setup as before is not giving the same result. I have used the recommended setup from the manual and I’m beginning to think the unit can no longer support the newest TVs.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

weese237 wrote:Hi, yes I currently use a coaxial cable. You gave me things to try, thank you!
Seem strange that using the very same setup as before is not giving the same result. I have used the recommended setup from the manual and I’m beginning to think the unit can no longer support the newest TVs.
I'm far from an expert on this sort of thing but it was the fact you said you'd moved that gave me the idea that the problem might be interference. Different areas use different TV channels. If the recorder has what Europe calls a SCART socket, which according to Wikipedia is called a EuroAV socket in the USA I'd try using that.

Ken

weese237
2StarLounger

Post by weese237 »

Hello! Got it fixed. Tried using a HDMI cable and it worked! Everything looks great!

Thanks again for getting me thinking.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:thewave:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Way to go Weese!

I think there is a saying with electronics problems that 99% of them are bad connections or bad cables.

Persistence pays!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Way to go Weese!

I think there is a saying with electronics problems that 99% of them are bad connections or bad cables.

Persistence pays!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
And if those are battery dependent, 99% of those, are battery CONTACT problems, not the batteries themselves! Truism!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.