USB-A port

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

USB-A port

Post by Skitterbug »

I'm puzzled by what a USB-A port is? I wanted to consider buying a Logitech wireless headphone. It says that it has a USB-A receiver that will plug into the computer. Are they talking about the plain ole USB ports? I've been hunting for answers on the web but I've finally decided to come to the experts.

Help will be appreciated! :)

BTW - Happy New Year of 2019! :bananas:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Leif
Administrator

Re: USB-A port

Post by Leif »

USB - Wikipedia should clarify everything, but yes - 'USB-A' can be considered the standard USB port on laptops and PCs.
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hi Skitter,
Yep, A-connectors are rectangular (about 12x4.5 mm), and we have used them from USB 1-3. There are also mini-A and micro-A connectors. (B-connectors are squarish; though not the less common mini and micro variants.)

In this case, wireless headphones, the receiver will plug into a standard USB port, similar to when using a cordless mouse (they are often called something along with "nano" since they are so small that they will get lost if unplugged. :grin:)

From usb.org:
https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files ... n_1.0_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://usb.org/sites/default/files/CabConn20.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Leif wrote:USB - Wikipedia should clarify everything, but yes - 'USB-A' can be considered the standard USB port on laptops and PCs.
Thanks for the reply!

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus wrote:Hi Skitter,
Yep, A-connectors are rectangular (about 12x4.5 mm), and we have used them from USB 1-3. There are also mini-A and micro-A connectors. (B-connectors are squarish; though not the less common mini and micro variants.)

In this case, wireless headphones, the receiver will plug into a standard USB port, similar to when using a cordless mouse (they are often called something along with "nano" since they are so small that they will get lost if unplugged. :grin:)

From usb.org:
https://www.usb.org/sites/default/files ... n_1.0_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://usb.org/sites/default/files/CabConn20.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi Argus - Leif gave me a good link however your explanation helped me even more. I can look at pictures and read material but it doesn't always make much sense to me. I do much better when I have the items in hand but of course to purchase online and then find it doesn't work is discouraging. You are spot on understanding my confusion.

I'm off to check on Leif's link as well as the two you've listed! But I think I know what will work now, thanks to both you and Leif!

Thank you!

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

A wrap up post about the outcome to my question. I ordered a Logitech H600 since this brand generally works with Mac computers. The tiny receiver fit perfectly and the headphones work! So I'm a happy camper! Thank you Leif and Argus for the info. It cleared up my confusion! :clapping: