Thunderstorms and laptops - Unplug from mains?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Thunderstorms and laptops - Unplug from mains?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Old hasbits(sic) die hard, for at the first distant crash of thunder I unplug my computer from the mains and continue typing.
Whereas before I had a desktop with a UPS, good for four hours or so, today I have a cheap laptop with a cheap AC-brick power supply.

Apart from the fact that I am a creature of habit and trust more in the power of nature than the intelligence of mankind, do I really need to unplug the laptop power supply – either from the back of the laptop or from the 120V wall socket?

It seems to me to be a good general principle to turn of devices (TV, VCR/DVD, MixMaster etc) during intense thunderstorms. But is this just a hangup from my days in the bush when power lines were rough and ready? And the voltage was 240V.

Toronto suffers from a power blackout about once a year. A section of the city (typically 40,000 homes) is without power for a dozen hours. I read the report in the paper next day but of course, never at the level of detail “Chris lost his hard drive, and so lost all his new text typed in since last night’s backup”. Those little stories are of no consequence in this metropolis.

I should add that once the steady downpour sets in I am less worried. I figure that the wet tower cranes (hooray!) make excellent lightning conductors.
Also, thanks to Toronto’s Condominium Craziness, I now live in a building that is so low relative to the ward that it (my building) can’t be seen unless you are standing by the front door.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Thunderstorms and laptops - Unplug from mains?

Post by John Gray »

You could always move to a country where thunderstorms and lightning are rare and the power supply is fairly reliable! :innocent:

I would say that if it pleases you to remove plugs from wall sockets on a regular basis, then go ahead. You can always bask in the warm glow of virtuousness rather than the warm glow of a burning device! :thumbup:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John Gray wrote:You could always move to a country where thunderstorms and lightning are rare and the power supply is fairly reliable! :innocent:

I would say that if it pleases you to remove plugs from wall sockets on a regular basis, then go ahead. You can always bask in the warm glow of virtuousness rather than the warm glow of a burning device! :thumbup:
I agree with John's last paragraph. Not the first. 50% is not too bad in this instance, Chris. :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

John Gray wrote:You could always move to a country where thunderstorms and lightning are rare and the power supply is fairly reliable! :innocent:
Do you have any good suggestions? :innocent:
(Ah, yes too much water can be a problem as well.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Old hasbits(sic) die hard, for at the first distant crash of thunder I unplug my computer from the mains and continue typing.....
I gather that unplugging the connection between the laptop and the main is futile.

Cheers
Chris

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Whether or not unplugging is a "good" idea is somewhat irrelevant. If it gives you peace of mind go ahead and unplug. That is better than worrying.
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I know that you only use a laptop with not internet connection.
So as long as the battery is good you are good to go, with the power unplugged.

If you have any other device connected to the laptop and it has a power supply, then that to must be unplugged.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Ramius_Typhoon
Lounger

Post by Ramius_Typhoon »

As far as I know, there are specific "thunder-protectant" outlets that you can buy and either install on your walls or plug as multi socket blocks in the regular outlets. I've been using them for a while and never got an issue with thunder, but well, my house never directly caught a strike of lightning.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Ramius_Typhoon wrote:As far as I know, there are specific "thunder-protectant" outlets that you can buy and either install on your walls or plug as multi socket blocks in the regular outlets. I've been using them for a while and never got an issue with thunder, but well, my house never directly caught a strike of lightning.
Of course, Lightning is the thing to worry about, not thunder! :flee:
BOB

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

viking33 wrote:
Ramius_Typhoon wrote:As far as I know, there are specific "thunder-protectant" outlets that you can buy and either install on your walls or plug as multi socket blocks in the regular outlets. I've been using them for a while and never got an issue with thunder, but well, my house never directly caught a strike of lightning.
Of course, Lightning is the thing to worry about, not thunder! :flee:
Thunder has rattled a few windows in my lifetime. There's a slim chance that leaving your laptop open might rattle windows (esp. v.10) and no plug protectors can prevent that. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:
Ramius_Typhoon wrote:Of course, Lightning is the thing to worry about, not thunder! :flee:
:cranky:

Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:There's a slim chance that leaving your laptop open might rattle windows (esp. v.10) and no plug protectors can prevent that. :grin:
:cranky: :cranky: :cranky:

Cheers
Chris

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
viking33 wrote:
Ramius_Typhoon wrote:Of course, Lightning is the thing to worry about, not thunder! :flee:
:cranky:

Cheers
Chris
:cranky: :cranky: :cranky: :cranky: :innocent:
BOB

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

I've always wondered whether evacuating the gap between contacts in a power outlet would be of any value.

Since (part of) the problem stems from the ability of the high voltage to ionize the air between the open switch contacts, and create a conducting path, what if that part could be sitting in a little evacuated bubble? If there's nothing to ionize, there's no path for an arc. Before someone says, "Much easier to unplug it", I'm just talking possibilities here; not suggesting practicalities. That said, it may not be beyond the wit of man, nor the economics of consumables, to produce such an outlet for the consumer market.

Just thinking ... :thinks:

Alan

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

AlanMiller wrote:I've always wondered whether evacuating the gap between contacts in a power outlet would be of any value.
I don't think even that would work. After all, in vacuum-tube diodes, triodes, etc. there is still an electron flow when the field strength is great enough. If the outlet contacts are the most conductive path to ground, a direct lightning strike would probably arc across the gap of a centimeter or two.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Jay Freedman wrote:If the outlet contacts are the most conductive path to ground, a direct lightning strike would probably arc across the gap of a centimeter or two.
But arc through what? If electrons are boiled off one contact I can see the vacuum tube analogy working. Otherwise not.

Alan