2 Mouse Problems

BobH
UraniumLounger

2 Mouse Problems

Post by BobH »

Can I disable the touch pad mouse on this Dell laptop running Win10? If so how? I cannot seem to identify it separately from other Mouse devices in Device Manager. I have a tailed mouse installed.

This touch pad is playing havoc with my typing and posting.

Second, in troubleshooting wifi network problems over the last week, one of the suggestions I got was to remove and replace all USB dongles. I did and although my wireless keyboard functionality returned, I lost all mouse function. I've tried replacing batteriies in the wireless mouse and even plugging a tailed mouse in without restoring the mouse. Ican't access the control panel without a mouse because I don't know how to do that with keyed instructions.

Can anyone edumacate me?, Please!!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: 2 Mouse Problems

Post by JoeP »

In the Settings app go to Devices | Touchpad to turn the touchpad off.

NOTE: In Windows 10 most control panel functions have been migrated to the settings applet. That is the first place to check these days as the control panel is gradually eliminated.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Joe

I found Settings>Mouse and 3 hardware devices all of which seem to be related to the USB mouse I have installed because I despise the touchpad.

I also found Settings>Touchpad but no option to disable it. When I went to Windows Help I found no answer.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Back to the missing mouse functions on my desktop ...

I discovered through dumb luck or the blind squirrel theory, whichever you prefer, that I can get to the Start Menu without a mouse. From the desktop I pressed the CTL and Esc keeps and up popped the menu. From there, arrow keys took me to the Control Panel menu. At first, the keyboard arrow keys would not allow me to get to the menu items themselves nor would Tab or Alt but I discovered by trial and error that the Shift key would activate the Control Panel menu list and the arrow keys would let me move to select them. I checked the Mouse option only to find that the CP says it is operating properly. I could find no option to enable or disable it.

Next I tried Devices and Printers were similar Tab and arrrow keys allowed me to choose and check the Mouse settings there. Same result: 'all is well' no disable-enable function.

From there I chose the Device Manager CP option and the Tab key activated the menu list; however, I could find no key combination that would expand the entry for Mice and Other Pointing Devices; so I couldn't get to any Mouse details.

To complicate matters, I don't have Internet access on my desktop; therefore even though I was able to find a search for driver updates and found the one on my PC is up to date, I could not go online to check.

I can, on some screens, see a mouse cursor image, but the mouse will not cause it to move.

I would greatly appreciate and gratefully receive any suggestions.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Missing mouse Desktop
Yes, if there's no Windows-key one can use Ctrl-Esc to open the Start menu (Ctrl-Shift-Esc starts the Task manager).
BobH wrote:From there I chose the Device Manager CP option and the Tab key activated the menu list; however, I could find no key combination that would expand the entry for Mice and Other Pointing Devices; so I couldn't get to any Mouse details.
I assume you started Device manager via the Archive menu option in the Devices and Printers application, and then, as you mention, one can move to the tree via Tab and then move and expand entries with the help of the arrow keys (properties for a device via Enter).

Touchpad/mouse Laptop
How to disable touchpad when mouse is connected on Windows 10
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disa ... windows-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabling or Enabling the Touchpad on a Dell Notebook
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/4/SLN114937" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

BobH wrote:Thanks, Joe

I found Settings>Mouse and 3 hardware devices all of which seem to be related to the USB mouse I have installed because I despise the touchpad.

I also found Settings>Touchpad but no option to disable it. When I went to Windows Help I found no answer.
See the WindowsCentral article link in Argus' post. What does yours look like compared to that?
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Argus and Joe!

When I go to Settings>Devices>Touchpad I see this screen:
System-Devices-Touchpad.PNG
Following the links I was unable to find an option to disable the touchpad when a mouse is plugged in. Is that supposed to work with a USB mouse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Where does "additional settings" take you?
Joe