A timely reminder?

aekyall
4StarLounger

A timely reminder?

Post by aekyall »

Amazing just how quickly dust causes CPU/MB temperatures to rise! I 'blast' my computer components about once a year with compressed air but even so, I noticed today, about one year since I last did it, that Speccy was telling me my CPU temp was up just above 40c - a quick 'blast', especially of the heat sink vanes, has dropped the temp down to 23c. I assume that keeping the temps down helps prolong component life? (I've had this computer now (running dual boot) for about 15 years - although it has had a number of additions/upgrades along the way (PU, RAM, Graphics, etc)).

My plans for a 'new build' are on the drawing board as I suspect I've had more than my money's worth out of this one! :sad:
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: A timely reminder?

Post by Rudi »

Cleaning hardware is just as important as cleaning ones drive content; using CCleaner, Malware Cleaners, etc...
TX for the reminder. :thumbup:

PS: My laptop is about 2 years old and I have not ever used a can of compressed air on it! It might be high time!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Just don't point the compressed air stream at any of the fans, because it might cause it to rotate so fast that it breaks.

Come to that, compressed air could vibrate some of the components, cause memory sticks and cable connectors to become slightly unseated, force dust particles into nooks and crannies, and so on.

Vacuum-cleaning might have a better result - but for the possible build-up of static electricity, unless you use an earthed metal nozzle!

Turning upside-down and shaking could cause parts to fall out.

In fact, there are ever so many ways to wreck your laptop or PC system unit!
Try some today! :rofl:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But remember, you have to hold it upside down and shake it to reboot...
Shake.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

aekyall wrote:Amazing just how quickly dust causes CPU/MB temperatures to rise! I 'blast' my computer components about once a year with compressed air but even so, I noticed today, about one year since I last did it, that Speccy was telling me my CPU temp was up just above 40c - a quick 'blast', especially of the heat sink vanes, has dropped the temp down to 23c.
That’s quite a lot, Keith; from around 40°C to 23°C. Of course it’s rather futile to discuss or compare temps between different computers, unless extreme, since there are so many variables, but a difference in the same environment when changing something (load, fan speeds, orientation, case etc.) is interesting.
John Gray wrote:Just don't point the compressed air stream at any of the fans, because it might cause it to rotate so fast that it breaks.
I’ve seen that comment every now and then, but I’ve never seen any report of this. That said, most people are not too keen mentioning things like that. (Thought it happens: One mentioned pulling the whole CPU socket from the motherboard. :grin:)

Mmm. Trying to fix one thing and get another problem. Make sure that there are no important tasks in the hours or days ahead. :grin:

xkcd: Success
https://xkcd.com/349/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reminds me of many years ago when I opened a 386 or 486 case, quite some time after they were the latest in tech, and found a dusty CPU fan; I had forgotten it even had one. :laugh: The size of a coin.

If one doesn't like cleaning one can always turn up the speed of the fans. It works for a while ... :grin:

It's always good to take a look at the hardware. On another computer a couple of years ago I noticed that the PSU fan had stopped spinning ... On the present one it's no problem since it is semi-passive.

BTW, Keith, today many computer cases have dust filters for easier cleaning and keeping some of the dust on the outside.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hans,

That is my all-time favorite Dilbert cartoon. We had a sales manager once that would have used an etch-a-sketch as a laptop and never have known the difference. This cartoon was posted on his office door numerous times.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:We had a sales manager once ...
I have worked for this guy, in the UK, in Canada (twice!), and in Australia.
He tries to change his appearance and his name, but I can't be fooled that easily!
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus wrote: xkcd: Success
https://xkcd.com/349/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the chuckle! :clapping:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.