Black and White Laser Printers

BobH
UraniumLounger

Black and White Laser Printers

Post by BobH »

She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) has become upset with the inkjet printers that we have due to their propensity to waste ink and constantly require expensive cartridge replacements. In days past we had a small HP LaserJet but the driver or hardware was not compatible with Windows beyond XP so we paid our respects and said good-bye to it.

Because I've been charged with finding an acceptable black and white (only) laser printer, I thought I'd survey the assembled brain trust to discover your experiences ... to learn what is good, what is bad and what is ugly ... wrt brands and models.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Black and White Laser Printers

Post by Claude »

We've got an HP P1102w, where the w stands for WiFi (I presume), very happy with it, especially the WiFi bit, not a contributor to the cable salad. Quite economical and typical HP quality. :thumbup:
Cheers, Claude.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Who was it that first said about HP printers, "Nobody ever got fired for buying HP"? I cetrtainly didn't when I persuaded my manager to buy an HP (colour) laserjet. It churned out hundreds of thousands of pages over its long life. The only time it failed was when someone thought it would be a good idea to to save money by using non-HP cartridges. It didn't, the third-party cartridges spewed toner everywhere within minutes of them being fitted so they were immediately replaced with genuine HP ones. The printer was still going strong when an office move forced its retirement (no room in the new, smaller, location) in favour of a pool centralised 'follow-me' printers.

Which is a long way of saying, if I was in the market for a laser B&W or colour, I'd buy an HP.

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

We have a HP P1606dn and is a very good machine.
https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c01995860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It includes 2 sided
USB 2.0 wired only
32 and 64 bit
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

We've had good results from the Brother range of monochrome lasers, and currently have a small, old, wired HP 1536dnf monochrome duplex laser photocopier/printer which works very well on refilled toner cartridges.

Sadly, I would suggest that the quality days of HP printers have gone Previously they used to be built as solidly as a tank (think LaserJet 4, which could easily last a decade) but now seem to be built down to a price...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

John Gray wrote:Sadly, I would suggest that the quality days of HP printers have gone Previously they used to be built as solidly as a tank (think LaserJet 4, which could easily last a decade) but now seem to be built down to a price...
I'm still using an HP1100 from before the turn of the century. Naturally, it has a Centronics connector, but nowaday, one simply buys a USB to Centronics converter cable.
Cheers, Claude.