monitor size (I'm a square)

jaystarter
3StarLounger

monitor size (I'm a square)

Post by jaystarter »

The time is fast approaching whereby I need to buy a new desktop to replace my faithfull 9 year old Dell. I also have a Vista laptop 15.4" screen which is ok for what it is. My main desktop - the one I use most for writing documents, surfing websites playing with photos with image editiing uses an older 4 x 3 19" BenQ LCD which lets me get on with things without too much scrolling. It seems all new displays are now wide screen which I understand is good for watching movies but that's not one of my main uses. Can anyone explain what the advantage of these wide screens are over the old square type when I will be using it mainly for Word and office programmes, desktop publishing, photo editing etc? Or is it relative in so much a 21" wide screen gives as much vertical area as a 19" 4 x 3 screen.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: monitor size (I'm a square)

Post by HansV »

The main raison d'être for wide screen monitors is indeed to watch movies, most of which are in 16:9 format nowadays.

But even if you don't watch movies on your PC, a wide screen can be useful. When I had a 4:3 monitor, I maximized most applications. Now that I have a wide screen monitor, I don't do that any more. I frequently arrange two application windows side by side, or with a small overlap. This way I can view a question about Word in Eileen's Lounge in one window, and Microsoft Word in another window at the same time, which makes replying easier; there are many other similar uses.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Ummmmm......yes....that makes sense. As most new "packages" come with wide screen I will probably accept it and no doubt soon get used to the new look.
Jeff

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Just resize the pane so you can read a full page width, without turning your head. Just let your eyes to the movement if needed, and your neck will thank you.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

And as an added bonus, you can most probably attach your old monitor to your new desktop along with your new monitor. This depends, of course, on the connectors available on your new desktop and the old monitor.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

If your monitor swivels vertically, it makes viewing full pages much easier, as well. This is very handy for page layout and controlling text on pages without having to reduce the size of the page making some fonts unreadable.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Now that I have a wide screen monitor, ... I frequently arrange two application windows side by side,
Interesting.
Please, what are the physical dimensions of the viewable portion of the monitor, and the Screen Resolution in pixels?
I ask because for years I've preached "maximize your windows" to make best use of the eye/brain tool, and minimize the use of the wrist/fingers (as in DaveA's suggestion above).
I was conscious that there would be an upper-limit (A 7'x5' monitor at 1280x1024 is well above that limit!), but until now I'd not realized the limit had been reached.
In real-life I maintain several A4 sheets of paper within viewing distance, but then my desk is a 10'x2'6" chunk of plywood.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The viewable part of the monitor is 52 cm x 32.5 cm (20.4" x 12.8*), with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels.
This is wide enough to view two pages of a Word document side by side:
x226.png
or to view an Excel spreadsheet and a Word document side by side:
x227.png
or to view an Excel workbook and the Visual Basic Editor side by side:
x228.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:The viewable part of the monitor is 52 cm x 32.5 cm (20.4" x 12.8*), with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels.
Thanks Hans.
This is wide enough to ... generate a JR(*) of 3.11.
7.JPG
(*) JR: Jealousy Ratio, computed as the product of the product of the ratios for screen dimensions and resolutions.

Note: The image is easily viewable on an 800x600 pixel screen ... (grin!)
Now I'm going to work off my JR by my MBR(**)
(**) Morning Bike Ride.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:JR: Jealousy Ratio, computed as the product of the product of the ratios for screen dimensions and resolutions.

If you're talking jealousy then how about my new PC at work? It has two 22" widescreen monitors :fanfare:

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:... my new PC at work? It has two 22" widescreen monitors
So in effect you really have only 1/2 a PC.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:So in effect you really have only 1/2 a PC.
I suppose that's one way of looking at it but I don't care. I'm happy, it is more than just a bit faster than the PC it replaced. And all that screen space is just wonderful. :clapping:

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:And all that screen space is just wonderful.
You must have a boss who is way more generous than my boss. :burnup:

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

ChrisGreaves wrote:You must have a boss who is way more generous than my boss. :burnup:
Um, Chris... I thought you are your boss. Surely you can talk him/you into purchasing a new monitor or two. :innocent:
Samantha

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Samantha wrote:I thought you are your boss. Surely you can talk him/you ...
Last time they caught me talking to myself I couldn't get out on a day-pass for three weeks ...
Besides which, I already know what the answer will be: 'We didn't budget for it this year". Same old same old.