HP HDX16 Laptop Won't Boot Past Bios Screen

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

HP HDX16 Laptop Won't Boot Past Bios Screen

Post by Doc Watson »

My daughter just dropped off her laptop for service. She called last night asking why it hung at the black HP screen on boot. I had her go through the various F- Keys on boot-up and no joy. Tonight a cursory look and search for a common issue on Google gave me no useful insight, other that there are overheating problems with this model and this thing seems to be very hot after a half hour of sitting at the HP screen with nothing going on. Could the heat have cooked the MOBO ?? It strikes me as a hardware issue where either the HD failed or the MOBO got toasted. But I don't know enough about laptops to really know where to begin.

I've considered that it might be a corrupt MBR, but with no access to the system I don't recall if there is a way, other than slaving the drive and running the Fix MBR command on the drive from the OS on primary drive. :scratch:

Any HP gurus out there :wink: with any insight here ?? Or am I looking at a trip to my local Asian expert to get the diagnosis & fix ??
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: HP HDX16 Laptop Won't Boot Past Bios Screen

Post by BobH »

Hey Doc!

This is an HP laptop (HP 530) that I'm replying on, but please don't misinterpret that to mean that I'm an expert on the thing.

I had a problem with the MBR some months back. My solution was to boot from a CD then format the hard drive and reinstall everything. I had a backup only a few days old; so I didn't lose much. This machine is a little over 3 years old. IIRC, I got a message that I googled and found that it meant that the MBR was corrupted. Sorry, but I can't remember the exact message - only that it did not contain anything about the MBR.

If your system is hanging on the BIOS screen, what exactly does it display? Is it only the HP logo and nothing about he BIOS version or any other clues?

This machine warms up enough that I use a USB fan platform under it or it's uncomfortable on my lap. I think the heat is normal for every laptop I've ever used for an extended period of time. And, heat is the enemy of all things electronic.

FWIW.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Doc,

I have come across some models where the cooling fan gets blocked with fluff, if you have the correct tools you can sometimes make a huge difference by simply opening up the laptop and blowing out the fluff that has accumulated on the heatsink.
StuartR

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Bob & Stuart, thanks for the prompt responses. It sounds from what you are both saying that my suspicions of heat may be the culprit, but the fact that the system will not boot past the black HP logo screen with no F-key functions that operate. Striking each f- key when powering up the machine, will produce the key number, displayed in the lower left screen, with the keys function next to it, but nothing else happens.

Bob, I wouldn't put this machine on my lap unless I had a new product for second degree burns that I was dieing to try out. :nope:

Stuart, I shall endeavor to "blow out the fluff" & :crossfingers:
You may be dyslexic.

olizim
NewLounger

Post by olizim »

I've got the identical problem with an HDX16...how was it resolved for you ? I assume it was resolved as the problem was first posted 5 months ago...I've tried the "hard reset", no change. Function keys don't function beyond the mentioned text string in lower left corner...

i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. :hairout: :hairout: :hairout:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

olizim wrote:I've got the identical problem with an HDX16...how was it resolved for you ? I assume it was resolved as the problem was first posted 5 months ago...I've tried the "hard reset", no change. Function keys don't function beyond the mentioned text string in lower left corner...

i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. i love computers. :hairout: :hairout: :hairout:
Welcome to the Lounge!
I guess you love computers?
I can't help you out any here beyond hoping that DocWatson spots this post and can reply with more info.
If not, after you make more than 3 posts ( I think it is 3? ) you could send him a PM and ask direct. :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Hey Oliver. We connect at last. :grin: As Bob pointed out, please use the PM function of The Lounge to contact us regarding questions posted here. Thanks. :smile:

To get to your question, I'm not sure what I did. :scratch: It was my daughter's laptop, as I said, and I seem to recall that she dropped it off and I either just booted it up or did something simple and obvious and it booted right up. I've got a call in to her to ask if she recalls what I did (she still has a memory, I do not :blush:) and when she calls back, I'll post a more useful answer, if there is one.
You may be dyslexic.

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

OK... she just called and said that all I did was blow some canned air in the fan area and then turned it on and it just booted up. She said I told her it had probably overheated and she wasn't patient and didn't allow it to cool down enough before trying to start it again.

Another computer mystery wrapped in an enigma !!

Added a bit later...

I just re-read my original post and her memory is no better than mine. I couldn't get it up and took it to my local guru who had no trouble, but wouldn't reveal his secret. He simply told me it was overheated. :groan: :hairout:

That's why I pay him. He won't tell me how he does things. :laugh:
You may be dyslexic.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Doc Watson wrote:As Bob pointed out, please use the PM function of The Lounge to contact us regarding questions posted here.
Olizim won't be able to send a PM until he has made 3 posts (as Bob also pointed out)
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Or perhaps even better, encourage the OP to post the solution in the thread (I know, it depends on if he/she notice it), as Bob said. :smile: Otherwise this will become a "Q&A" forum sans the "A", and one gazillion PMs will be sent every day. :laugh: :wink: (I know you guys know this.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.