Identifying an unknown device

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Identifying an unknown device

Post by MalcolmWalker »

The operating system for my computer is Windows 7 Professional custom installed as an upgrade from Windows XP Home. The system is up to date through Windows Update and is protected by a Netgear ADSL Wireless router and an up to date competent antivirus programme.

Attached is a view of Device Manager shown by connection from my system. I have been unable to identify the unknown device using several tools including the updating driver tool in the Properties for the device. Windows is unable to find a driver either on my system or from the Internet.

I have also downloaded, installed and run the utility Unknown Device Identifier 7 without achieving an identification.

DriverMax, a free to use on a limited basis (downloads limited to two drivers a day), tells me that the Intel(R) 82801FBC LPC Interface Controller - 2640 drivers are up to date yet the unknown device is listed under the 2640 controller. DriverMax also has a unknown device identifier but reports that there are no unknown devices.

My system appears to be working AOK so on that basis I have to wonder why I want to fix it! Nevertheless any pointer to indentification of the unknown device would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Identifying an unknown device

Post by Argus »

Can you see any device ID in the properties for the unknown device (on the Details tab) in the Device Manager?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Have you tried to right click the device and disable it to see what effects, if any, there are?
My guess is that you can eventually uninstall it without harm but try disabling it first.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

This is what is displayed in the details of the unknown device:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

MalcolmWalker wrote:This is what is displayed in the details of the unknown device:
Hello I had this reply prepared, but you came back too quick, was just going to post. :smile:

I had one odd device once, on a different system (from Asus), and it was the ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY. That one got installed just by putting the mobo CD in drive (via autorun).

I'm thinking that if you have used downloaded drivers for the new OS, it could be easy to overlook a small file like that one. Perhaps you already have some on a CD. Hmm a search points at a driver from the AiBooster software, though you should not need to install the whole software. Some said that the device could also be disabled in BIOS.

Can you give us a little more details about the hardware?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A search suggests that WEC0513 is a smartcard reader from Winbond.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

HansV wrote:A search suggests that WEC0513 is a smartcard reader from Winbond.
Yep, :thumbup: it appears so.
(It's usually small thing like that.)

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

viking33 wrote:Have you tried to right click the device and disable it to see what effects, if any, there are?
My guess is that you can eventually uninstall it without harm but try disabling it first.
I have disabled the unknown device and if as is suggested in another reply it is my SmartCard Reader that is causing the problem it hasn't affected the correct functioning of the SD card element of that device.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

HansV wrote:A search suggests that WEC0513 is a smartcard reader from Winbond.
I'll check for a Windows 7 driver as the one I have is for XP

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Argus wrote:I had one odd device once, on a different system (from Asus), and it was the ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY. That one got installed just by putting the mobo CD in drive (via autorun).
The applications and support disk I have is for the system as it was with Windows XP Home as the operating system. Since I custom upgraded to Windows 7 Professional I have been been unable to locate a compatible driver for the SmartCard Reader which from another reply appears involved. Yet the reader works at the least with an SD card which is as much as I can test with at present.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If the smartcard reader works for your purposes, I wouldn't worry about the unknown device.
Best wishes,
Hans

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I would like at this point in time to express my thanks for the replies that have been made to my posting. The promptness is impressive let alone the content of the messages I have read. To each - thank you!

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Argus wrote:Can you give us a little more details about the hardware?
Please indicate the extent of the hardware details that would be appropriate.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

MalcolmWalker wrote:
Argus wrote:Can you give us a little more details about the hardware?
Please indicate the extent of the hardware details that would be appropriate.
As usual I only get one notification, must check that, didn't notice your replies, after the first one to Bob.

Which motherboard do you use?
What does it say on the abovementioned tab (Device Manager) for the Device Instance ID (not Hardware IDs)?

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Argus wrote:Which motherboard do you use?
What does it say on the abovementioned tab (Device Manager) for the Device Instance ID (not Hardware IDs)?
The mainboard is:
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7091
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 01/27/2005

Device Instance ID is not listed but Device Instance Path is:
ACPI\WEC0513\4&20EEC84F&0

Please advise me if I haven't given you the information you require.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

MalcolmWalker wrote:
viking33 wrote:Have you tried to right click the device and disable it to see what effects, if any, there are?
I have disabled the unknown device and if as is suggested in another reply it is my SmartCard Reader that is causing the problem it hasn't affected the correct functioning of the SD card element of that device.
Malcolm,
If you have disabled it and there appears to be no ill effect, I would go ahead and uninstall it. If your OS DOES need it you will see attempts to reinstall it when you reboot.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

MalcolmWalker wrote: The mainboard is:
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7091
[...]
Device Instance ID is not listed but Device Instance Path is:
ACPI\WEC0513\4&20EEC84F&0
Thanks. The I/O controller "82801FB" (not 82801FBC) seems to be included in the Intel 910, 915 and 925 Express chipsets, perhaps some other as well. Nothing for "4 20EEC84F 0" etc. Hmm.

First I thought that it could perhaps be a bit difficult to find drivers for Windows 7, if the hardware is a bit old, but maybe not.

I don't know if this indeed is a MSI (Micro-Star...); the MSI 7091 board has been used by Medion, but then I think it would go under the name "MD7091" or perhaps MD-7091. I also don’t know if you have any software that can show the full motherboard name. But it probably is a MSI 7091.

As you know there usually are two options: the OEM site, and then we have to know if it is MSI etc. Or, go directly to Intel, since it's their chipset. Usually one tries the OEM first, since they may have changed some things on the board.

While asking questions, :smile: which flavour, 32-bit or 64-bit OS (though if you find a driver they are often included in “package”)?

It could be worth trying the "Intel Chipset Device Software" (earlier called "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility". It's the same software for a number of chipsets. It updates the INF files.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

As to age the computer was bought in April 2005 - rather elderly is it not?

The mainboard is marked MS-7091 VER 1.2 and I believe MSI and Micro-Star International are the same company. The Medion Support site doesn't list any relevant drivers for Windows 7. At best the others are for Windows XP the operating system OEM installed.

The Intel updates were ineffective as the "Intel Chipset Device Software" didn't appear to have any effect and the "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" reverted the chipset drivers to much earlier versions. (Version 9 became version 3!) And the upgrade to Windows 7 is 32-bit.

So I have as suggested elsewhere uninstalled the unknown device only for it to reappear. In the circumstances as the system doesn't appear to be compromised in any way I am prepared to leave well alone.

Thank you for your input. I have increased my awareness of these issues from your contributions and those of the other contributors to this thread. Thank you all very much indeed.

Malcolm

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I earlier found what seemed like chipset drivers for the "Medion Microstar Professional I71000 / 7091 AT" at their German pages, and including Windows 7.
Chipsatz Treiber Intel
Version: 9.1.0.1020 - Win XP 32bit/Win 2000/Win 2003/Win 7 32bit/Win 7 64bit/Win Vista 32bit/Win XP Media Center
But what do I know, I can't test them, and I have not downloaded them and looked closer at the files.

Nor do I know which OEM your board is. And yes, as I mentioned, MSI and Micro-Star International are the same company.

Yes, it will reappear (if it wasn't just a glitch).