Keyboard Problems

BobH
UraniumLounger

Keyboard Problems

Post by BobH »

Recently I've experienced erratic behavior from my keyboard. I'll be typing along and suddenly the cursor might disappear, or a new tab opened in my browser or the bookmarks panel activated and displayed. I have not been able to identify a single key or key combination that I can cause to repeat any of this behavior but it seems that the space bar is often involved as is the shift key.

The keyboard is a Microsoft 6000 v3.0 ergonomic, wireless keyboard. It is fairly old but has been a very reliable and user friendly device. I like it a lot better than any other I've ever used and would like to find and fix the problem.

I am open to advice/suggestions as to troubleshooting to find and fix the problem. Your help shall be gratefully received and greatly appreciated. I have not yet fiddled with drivers as I'm afraid that I'll be unable to get back on the system.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Keyboard Problems

Post by HansV »

I assume that you have checked that the battery is OK.

Could the Ctrl key be slightly stuck? For example, the keyboard shortcut for a new tab is Ctrl+T, so if you press T you might accidentally send Ctrl+T.
You might (gently) remove the Ctrl keys and clean under them.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans. Yes, I did check and change the batteries but the problem persisted. I've blown compressed air around the keys, too, but I have not removed and cleaned under any of them. I'll give that a try.

:wine: :wine: (I'm saving the choccies for Kim!)
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Doesn't sound like a driver problem to me but then again.....
Is this the type with a separate USB "dongle" plugged in somewhere? If so, try using another port. You said you checked the batteries but how about the battery connectors? Shine 'em up a bit. A good engineer always carries a "pink pearl" eraser to clean any contacts.
I'm not a big fan of air in a can but you would be amazed at the debris that can collect between keyboard key tops. (you have to stop eating all that chili while typing! ) :grin: A thin blade gently used around the keys to clear anything in there.
I'm a phat phinger typist so I am usually the one to blame for typos.
Good old spell checker!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Several years ago, one of our computers with wireless keyboard / mouse started behaving strangely, even, while typing on it, adding random letters and words to the text.

A reboot and battery change didn't make any difference. This lasted for a few hours, then stopped and restarted the next evening.

Turns out the neighbour had the same hardware which by coincidence used the exact same frequency as ours did. After resetting the wireless connection, everything was back to normal.

I'm not saying this is the cause BobH, but, it's worth a try. (Please don't tell me your next neighbour is a few miles away) :smile:
Cheers, Claude.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I would guess something in line with what Hans suggested. From experience stuck keys can create such problems. (Though experience doesn't matter, I'm always gobsmacked the first seconds when the PC decides to do something out of the blue. :smile:) And I agree with Bob that it doesn't sound like a driver problem, unless of course there is some app with settings for keyboard shortcuts.

(Of course, part of troubleshooting is trying to remember when it happens, software running, and trying to find changes in settings or recently installed software, if any.)

One of the reasons I avoid wireless keyboard and mouse is the fact that more things can go awry; you have to troubleshoot more things.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I took your advice VikingBob. I moved the dongle. I also removed all the main typing keys and cleaned each one and the well they fit into and put them back. I think the problem was crud in the keys. So far I've not experienced the random changes that I was before but the space bar requires pounding to get a space. The space bar is clean but I suspect it might not be striking the membrane as it should. I'll continue working on that. I think it might need some minor percussive persuasion.

Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

BobH wrote: (I'm saving the choccies for Kim!)
YUM! Thanks!

:wine: :wine: Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Claude wrote:Turns out the neighbour had the same hardware which by coincidence used the exact same frequency as ours did. After resetting the wireless connection, everything was back to normal. :smile:
This reminds me of some troubleshooting I did about a million years ago, when CRTs roamed the earth. A secretary complained sporadically that her monitor would get all wiggly. Neither I nor my IT staff could recreate it. We replaced her monitor and moved on.

After about the third time we got the call, I started to wonder if there was something causing interference, so I stepped into the next-door cubicle. The only thing there was an IBM Selectric used for printing labels. But it shared the wall with the secretary's monitor, so I turned it on. In a few moments I heard my fellow troubleshooter say "Hey! Hey, it's doing it!" I turned the typewriter off. She said "No, now it's not doing it." :rofl:

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Good to hear BobH, and, I know where you're coming from Kim ! :smile:
Cheers, Claude.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

kdock wrote:
Claude wrote:Turns out the neighbour had the same hardware which by coincidence used the exact same frequency as ours did. After resetting the wireless connection, everything was back to normal. :smile:
This reminds me of some troubleshooting I did about a million years ago, when CRTs roamed the earth. A secretary complained sporadically that her monitor would get all wiggly. Neither I nor my IT staff could recreate it. We replaced her monitor and moved on.

After about the third time we got the call, I started to wonder if there was something causing interference, so I stepped into the next-door cubicle. The only thing there was an IBM Selectric used for printing labels. But it shared the wall with the secretary's monitor, so I turned it on. In a few moments I heard my fellow troubleshooter say "Hey! Hey, it's doing it!" I turned the typewriter off. She said "No, now it's not doing it." :rofl:

Kim
I had a similar situation many moons ago when my room was back to back with a room containing a large laboratory stirred waterbath. The stirrer created a rhythmic throbbing in my monitor's display. I couldn't get any joy out of the guy in charge of the lab, so I sneaked in when everyone had gone home and moved their bath to the opposite wall. Fixed my problem, but I think the guy on the other side of the other wall was complaining...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube