Extending battery life

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Extending battery life

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have my 3rd laptop battery. The laptop is about 5 years old - ASUS 2MB/2GB/2GHz. I use it mainly at my desk, on mains power through the little power block, but occasionally visit client sites and sometimes feel like typing text in the living room.

I have heard variously that
(1) I should leave everything plugged in
(2) I should remove the battery if I am on mains power.
(3) I should run on battery until it is flat, then recharge it.

Option (3) seems like a lot of effort - replugging every 5 hours or so throughout a working day that can run from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m.

I'd love to hear your ideas.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Extending battery life

Post by HansV »

What type of battery do you have? Most laptops nowadays use Lithium-ion batteries; these don't suffer from the 'memory effect' that older types had, and you shouldn't discharge Li-ion batteries fully before recharging.

The older Ni-MH type battery does have to be discharged fully before recharging for optimal performance.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:What type of battery do you have?
It is a "14.8 Volt Li-ion Laptop battery" according to the invoice.
Thanks Hans.
I gather from your response that I ought to just leave the battery in place in the laptop and not do anything especial, such as shelving it when I don't need the battery power.

I should have added that the laptop power block is sourced from my APC UPS, so power failures aren't an issue during regular daily use.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can leave the battery in the laptop. When it's fully charged, the built-in charger automatically switches to trickle charging, so the battery doesn't get overloaded.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
HansV wrote:What type of battery do you have?
It is a "14.8 Volt Li-ion I gather from your response that I ought to just leave the battery in place in the laptop and not do anything especial, such as shelving it when I don't need the battery power.
If you're interested Chris, the Battery University site has a great deal of information and maintenance instructions for many different types of batteries.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote: the Battery University site has a great deal of information and maintenance instructions for many different types of batteries.
Tanks rebel.
I have a sense of Deja Vu, and remember this site from somewhere.
An excellent reference for someone at my level.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:You can leave the battery in the laptop. When it's fully charged, the built-in charger automatically switches to trickle charging, so the battery doesn't get overloaded.
Thanks Hans. Now this is what I did with the original battery and with the replacement. Each lasted just 12 months.

With a view to seeing if I can go more than 12 months before paying for a replacement(*), I'm considering storing the battery out of the laptop excepting those times (about once per fortnight) when I go to a client site. (I can see me catching up on emails while I wait for a bus etc.)
Rebel's link site mentioned storing the battery and "topping it up" periodically. For me the top-up would take place those days I was at a client site with the power-block.

(*)This post to be edited 12 months from now ...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I have a sense of Deja Vu, and remember this site from somewhere.
So it's Déjà Vu all over again?! :rofl:
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:So it's Déjà Vu all over again?!
It's time for me to ""Turn off, Unplug, and drop out"" :laugh:

Post by Guest »

A battery that only last about one year isn't that good. Are you buying OEM replacement batteries or generic batteries? I know some laptops keep track of the battery usage and how many charge cycles it does. My laptop battery is about four years old. But I do keep it plugged in most of the time. I am having a problem right now with either the power cord or the battery or some other internal power part because my power cord doesn't always charge the battery when plugged in. If I wiggle the cord around enough, it will start charging. I'm thinking it's a bad power cord that has a loose wire inside.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

LynnT wrote:Hi Lynn.
A battery that only last about one year isn't that good. Are you buying OEM replacement batteries or generic batteries?
I agree that I am most unimpressed with my first laptop experience. The original battery died at 11.5 months; I had it replaced under warranty. The replacement battery died after 11 months.
I ordered a replacement over the web from a firm on the far side of the country. The battery wasn't a perfect fit, and would lose contact without warning, resulting in it physically falling out at times.
then the power unit/motherboard in that computer fried.
:sad:
"Laptops don't Love me"

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Post by Charlotte »

I've never had to replace a laptop battery in a year. My laptops usually become obsolete long before their batteries die. Either laptops don't love you or something else is going on. I never take the battery out of my laptop unless I'm on a trip and need to swap them out on a plane or train. Maybe it's the brand you're buying?
Charlotte

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

If your Li-ions don't last for a reasonable period, let them drain completely, then put them in the freezer for at least 12 hours. Take'em out of freezer, plug back in and immediately start charging.

Repeat this process 5 or six times, you'll be amazed about the increased lifespan. Assuming you still got the old ones, try it with them first. This BTW works for any rechargeable battery that doesn't want to behave anymore; camera, phone, whatever.
Cheers, Claude.