Cable from graphics card to monitor

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Cable from graphics card to monitor

Post by John Gray »

I have an nVidia GT220 graphics card in a PC, which has VGA, DVI-D and HDMI sockets.

I have just bought a new BenQ G2222HDL wide-screen 1920x1080 monitor, which has a VGA and a DVI-D socket.

Having connected a DVI-D dual cable between the two and done a driver update (just a 143 MB download), all is now well, and I'm getting the expected 1920x1080 resolution rather than the 1280x1024 of the previously-connected monitor.

The question is: were I to use a DVI-D to HDMI cable instead, would it work identically to the DVI-D to DVI-D cable?
Is either cable preferable (I find the DVI cable rather thick and inflexible)?

My experience with HDMI cables is zero, and with DVI cables is marginally greater!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cable from graphics card to monitor

Post by HansV »

I have no experience with this myself, but according to HDMI and Computers, "a monitor with a DVI connector can connect to a HDMI graphics port on the computer", so I think it should work. Whether it would work better (or worse), I have no idea.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Here's a seriea of articles on monitor connections that may be of interest - DVI vs. VGA - Big Screen Monitor Connections and Cabling. Don't let the title stop you the last two are concern DVI & HDMI.

Joe
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Thanks very much, Joe - the set of articles in your second post tells me almost all I need to know - and that I probably should have got a DVI-D to HDMI cable as well/instead! However, even with 64-bit Windows 7 Pro, it probably doesn't make very much difference.

Let's hope the next iteration of wide-screen gives a whole lot more vertical pixels, or I'm going to have to get a screen that will rotate from landscape to portrait...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...