10/100 to 1 gig network speeds

steveh
SilverLounger

10/100 to 1 gig network speeds

Post by steveh »

HI all

I have to buy some laptops on a budget for a DR set up, I have found these Toshiba's, the only drawback seems to be that they are 10/100 mbs, has any one got experience or can advise if these devices / adaptors actually work (the laptop does have a USB 3 port)

TIA
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: 10/100 to 1 gig network speeds

Post by BobH »

Can you get a laptop and the adapter and give it a try before committing to the whole deal? That's what I would have had done in my days as IT director. ~£320 seems a small investment to be certain that your whole setup will work. (or maybe I don't understand the exchange rate :scratch: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

BobH wrote:Can you get a laptop and the adapter and give it a try before committing to the whole deal? That's what I would have had done in my days as IT director. ~£320 seems a small investment to be certain that your whole setup will work. (or maybe I don't understand the exchange rate :scratch: :flee:
Hi Bob

Unlike the customer orientated services the US offer I have never heard of a loan type system in the UK.

My intention is to buy 10 and put in a box probably never to be opened and then changed in 2-3 years hence the cheapness

Cheers
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, but isn't the purpose of DR to assure recovery? Buy 1 of each device and test it. If it doesn't work, you're not out much.

Another question (since I used to be heavily involved in DR planning): Are you certain that 10BaseT is not adequate, especially in a DR mode? Would gigabit speed be a requirement or a 'nice to have?'

Just playing the Devil's Advocate . . .
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

BobH wrote:Yes, but isn't the purpose of DR to assure recovery? Buy 1 of each device and test it. If it doesn't work, you're not out much.

Another question (since I used to be heavily involved in DR planning): Are you certain that 10BaseT is not adequate, especially in a DR mode? Would gigabit speed be a requirement or a 'nice to have?'

Just playing the Devil's Advocate . . .
Hi Bob

Thanks for the advice, you wouldn't believe how tight my bosses are but I need a new laptop for my granddaughters homework so I will buy one myself and test it. The Companies bespoke O/S does not work well over a slow network connection so a gig is a kind of must have, the friends that I have arranged a reciprocal DR plane with can give us 5 seats connected to their gig network (our developer says that he can have the O/S back up and running in minutes on any network) and the 5 spare are for a terminal server system that we have in place and wirelessly I think these would work well.

Cheers
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sounds as if you have it well in hand, Steve!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)