Acer monitor darkness

Sundog
5StarLounger

Acer monitor darkness

Post by Sundog »

I usually turn off my monitors overnight, and leave my CPU running to allow an uninterrupted virus scan at 2 AM. My Acer AL2416W monitor refuses to start properly. When I hit the Power button in the morning, 9 of 10 times or maybe 99 times out of 100, I see a momentary "acer" splash, then darkness. After many repeated tries of Off then On, the acer splash "sticks," and the monitor comes to life, displaying the program sent to it. (This is in a three-monitor setup, using the Matrox DualHead2Go Digital SE external multi-display adapter.) The other two (Dell) monitors fire up as expected.

Eventually I will try shifting monitors, positions, cabling, etc., when I'm not so lazy. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

My remedy, once I'm successful, is to leave the Acer monitor running 24/7. That cures it, which also probably will lead to its eventual failure and replacement with a different monitor. Oh well. Maybe it just has a hard time getting up in the morning, like me, sometimes. :hiding:
Sundog

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Acer monitor darkness

Post by PaulB »

I have a 2 monitor set-up. The secondary monitor is usually always off but my main monitor is on 24/7. Windows is set to 'sleep' both monitors after 15 minutes. My main monitor has operated like this for over 5 years. I don't believe this will lead to premature monitor failure.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Sundog,

Been scanning some Google hits reg. Acer AL2416W monitor refuses to start and one issue that lead to this problem was a faulty on/off switch. The switch briefly connected and showed the splash screen and then went dark as the monitor switched off again. Just taking a chance, but maybe the switch is faulty??

Quote from the post...
Managed to figure out the problem in the end and posting findings in case it is of help to someone else.
Having looked through the various threads and suggestions provided finally narrowed down the problem to a, would you believe it, faulty on/off switch. Replaced switch and monitor now working.
Also see this thread: http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14567
And this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm0AJ65TGOI
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Paul/Rudi, Thanks for the replies and info. I'll keep trying and will leave it on "forever" when/if I succeed.
Sundog

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Good luck!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.